|11-19-2012, 05:10 PM||#1 (permalink)|
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Rhode Island, USA
CHE Temperature Control Problem.
Has anyone else had problems with their CHE temperature controller (I have the older version of this - http://www.amazon.com/Zilla-Temperature ... B0018CLYNG) It seems to be fluctuating from 80-72ish when it is set at the same level. It's really getting aggravating..
|11-20-2012, 02:42 PM||#2 (permalink)|
Join Date: Aug 2008
Re: CHE Temperature Control Problem.
I have that one and the other version they make... there's one that just one CHE plugs into and one that three can plug into (though I just plug two CHE's into that one). They've both been reliable.
I have had temp fluctuations that are like the ones you've described when using the thermostat, but it wasn't the thermostat's fault.
Problems I've had were (and check to see if any of these are going on for you):
- hedgie has snuggled up to the heat-sensing probe (causing it to register as warmer in the cage than it really is, so the CHE didn't turn on when it should have, thus lowering the temp of the cage)
- heat-sensing probe was at the wrong level in the cage (up to high or down to low) and giving off the wrong temp reading for the level where hedgie actually lives
- heat-sensing probe was in the sunlight (and being warmed by the sunlight... thus giving a false impression of the whole cage temp)
- lamp was accidentally clicked off, so thermostat said "hey, turn on" but CHE couldn't turn on
- CHE burned out
- lamp itself died
- CHE was appropriately off, but the room temp was up high (had to click on the a/c)
- the room itself was too cold for the thermostat/CHE/lamp system to keep up despite being on. I put a blanket under the cage and around the sides to help hold in heat during the winter months. I also move from having one CHE & lamp to two CHE's and lamps for the winter months.
Also check what wattage your CHE is/CHE's are... it/they might be too low which means they can't keep up with hedgie's heating needs... dropping temps down to 72
I think if you've ruled all of those out (and anything else others might suggest), it might mean your particular unit is flawed. Overall, I've had great experience with the brand.
Satin Mirranda Hufflepuff -- Mommy loves you
Tex Buckaroo Hufflepuff -- What a good boy
Bella Stormrider Hufflepuff -- Welcome home sweetie
Marlee Twyla Hufflepuff -- Big little girl
|Thread||Thread Starter||Forum||Replies||Last Post|
|how do i fit together a CHE and temperature control??||Katiehogletnewbie||Heating||2||03-28-2012 11:02 AM|
|Out of control biting, please help.||cthom||Hedgehog Personality and Behaviour||9||01-26-2012 10:29 AM|
|1 Temperature control, two habitats?||ShutUpAndSmile||Off Topic||4||09-16-2011 11:03 AM|
|oder control||Jake||Housing & Accessories||2||06-21-2011 08:17 AM|
|Mite control||LarryT||Health||4||05-15-2009 12:32 AM|