Heating Pad suggestions? Heating in general? - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-14-2012, 10:51 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Heating Pad suggestions? Heating in general?

Does anyone have any suggestions on heating pads? Are there certain kinds? I read about the Snugglesafe Disk, does it work well?
Advertisement

Old 11-14-2012, 10:57 AM   #2 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Default Re: Heating Pad suggestions? Heating in general?

Heating pads don't make a good only heat source - they're typically best for older or sick hedgehogs that need a bit more warmth when sleeping. Otherwise, if their sleeping area is warmer, say 76 degrees, and the air outside in their cage is 73, it may discourage them from normal activity. It's best to use a CHE set up or a space heater to heat the room.

That said, this is the heating pad I use and I absolutely love it - http://cozywinters.com/shop/kh-1060.html I got it for Lily when she was sick last winter. The company shipped quickly and it came with a set of instructions, etc. even though it was as easy as plugging in and putting under her cage. It only heats when there's weight on it, and it has a built-in thermostat that keeps it to 102* (if I remember right, it might be a few degrees higher, but main point being it doesn't get super hot). When it'd been on for a while, I could still put my hand right against the plastic and it was just pleasantly warm. It's also water-proof and chew-proof, so you could have it actually inside the cage, though I kept it out, underneath the cage to make sure there was enough weight to keep it on.

I haven't used Snugglesafe Disks, so all I know is what I've read - they're microwaveable and they're good for about 12 hours, if I remember right. If you do go looking for heating pads, make sure you don't get reptile ones - they get too hot and they're not safe to have under a cage.

RIP my sweet Lily ~ 6/12/08 - 1/20/12
Lilysmommy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-14-2012, 11:07 AM   #3 (permalink)

I keep a space heater in my room, but my dad has a habit of turing it off after I leave for school. I've heard about people using heating lamps. But I would think they would got too hot or burn her. This winter is going to be cold and I just want to keep her comfy and safe. What should I be using?

Old 11-14-2012, 11:29 AM   #4 (permalink)

I agree that you can't use a heating pad as the only source of heat, the air temperature has to be correct, it's not good enough to provide a warm spot for him to go to or sleep in.

Ashelyn, most people do not use heating lamps for hedgehogs, they use ceramic heat emitters which are different in that they do not give off light, only heat. If you have a plastic bottom wire top cage or a C&C cage then Ceramic heat emitters seem to work great. You need to get a thermostat to control the temperature. The thermostat will measure the temperature and then turn the heat emitter on when it gets too cold and off when it gets hot enough. If the ceramic heat emitter usually rests on top of the cage so your hedgehog cannot get very close to it and will not burn himself. You need to talk to your Dad about how important it is that your hedgehog stays warm, this is a life or death situation for your hedgehog. If your space heater has a thermostat and the safety feature that shuts it off if it tips over then there is no danger in leaving it on unattended. If the electrical bill is too high with the space heater on all day then a ceramic heat emitter is a good option because although it costs more to purchase it it doesn't use much more electricity than a light bulb so your Dad might feel better about leaving that on all day and it would certainly be cheaper to run compared to the space heater.

I've always used space heaters or built in baseboard heaters for my hedgehogs since I get chilled all the time and like the temperature around 74-75 anyway. I also like it because then there is a room that is nice and warm for out of cage time and I don't have to worry so much about how long he's out for and if he'll get cold.

For travel I used a hot water bottle in the carrier and then I found these things http://www.amazon.com/HEAT-WAVE-Instant ... B000E48LVM (I have a different brand, but they are basically the same) which I think are great, they only last for about an hour so if we're going somewhere like the vet I use one on the way there and one on the way back and then boil them to reset them, I want to buy a lot more so we have spares. I just put it in a little fleece pouch that I tuck under his blankets in his carrier so he doesn't get at it. That combined with an insulating blanket over the top of the carrier, and a fleece cover keeps him nice and warm while we are traveling. We don't have a car so when we travel it's always a combination of public transit and walking so keeping his carrier warm is very important especially now that it's getting colder.

RIP Quigley, I miss you my little grumpus.
hedgielover is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-14-2012, 12:43 PM   #5 (permalink)

Where can I find a ceramic heater?
Old 11-14-2012, 01:13 PM   #6 (permalink)

I bought a snuggle safe heating disk and love it. I also use an oil filled ceramic floor heater and we keep the house warm, but on chilly days or nights, I put the disk on top of his cage above his bed and cover just that top part with a blanket. It boosts the temperature of quite a few degrees keeping that section warm for some time. I'm amazed how well it works that way. I'm too afraid to leave it in with him in his cage unattended incase he sits on it too long and getsa burn. It does heat up very hot.
Old 11-14-2012, 01:19 PM   #7 (permalink)

Where did you find the disk?
Old 11-14-2012, 02:17 PM   #8 (permalink)

On Ebay for $30 with the shipping included. I'll find you the link.
Oh darn...she just old out but does list them again every week. Here's the link and all you have to do is watch for when she relists them. You can also get them on Amazon.
Old 11-14-2012, 02:40 PM   #9 (permalink)

Can someone please educate me on heat emmiters? I've read about it all day and it's just confusing. Lol.
Old 11-14-2012, 09:20 PM   #10 (permalink)
Super Moderator

They can be pretty confusing! Basically, there's three parts - the ceramic heat emitter bulb, the lamp, and the thermostat. You should be able to find all three things in a Petco. I don't think Petsmarts carry the thermostats, so you might have to get that part online. This is the one I got, which I really liked (and seems to be the most commonly used one on the forum, as far as I can tell) - http://www.petco.com/product/108340/Zil ... SiteSearch

The bulb and lamp can both be found in Petsmarts as well. Other pet stores, I'm not sure, you'd have to go and look. All three things would be in the reptile section of the pet store. The ceramic heat emitter bulb looks like a flat light bulb, usually with spiral designs on the top of it. They MUST say ceramic heat emitter on the box! You're not looking for any of the heating bulbs that look like normal light bulbs - they all give off light of some sort, even the night ones. The CHE bulbs will cost somewhere from $30-40, depending on wattage and store.

The most popular lamp that's used is Fluker's clamp lamps. You want the 10" lamp, since it spreads the heat out best. If you end up seeing a different kind of lamp or don't want a Fluker's one for whatever reason, you need to make sure the box says somewhere that the lamp is rated safe to use with ceramic heat emitters - not all lamps are and it can be a fire hazard if it's not made specifically for CHEs.

Once you have everything, you put them together. CHE bulb goes into the lamp. Lamp plugs into the thermostat. Thermostat plugs into the wall. Then you can set the thermostat dial and figure out where to put it for the temperature you want. It'll turn the lamp on and off as needed to keep the temperature to where you set it.
chocolatecinnicot likes this.

RIP my sweet Lily ~ 6/12/08 - 1/20/12
Lilysmommy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in