CHE alternatives - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-28-2017, 04:24 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default CHE alternatives

Hi everyone, I'm making Sasha a new cage with a solid wooden top. At the moment she has a c and c cage with a 100w CHE. However as her new cage is 4' x 20", I need to upgrade her heating situation, I could get another Che and hang them at the top of her cage on either side, however I am worried about them being so close to the wood and being a fire risk since they get so hot. I was looking at some alternatives and found this: http://www.sweeterheater.com
Does anyone have any experience with anything like this?

I've attached a picture of the cage I've built so far, not finished it, still needs legs and a paint job. A c and c cage (with plexiglass not coroplast) is being made to fit in it. If anyone has some ideas on how to heat it I would be very appreciative!

Also added a photo of her cause why not
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0225.jpg (96.5 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0226.jpg (170.2 KB, 16 views)
1234 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-28-2017, 05:43 PM   #2 (permalink)

A space heater attached to a thermostat is probably your best option.
Poppy_the_hedgie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-29-2017, 12:58 PM   #3 (permalink)
Super Moderator

I'm currently using a similar product for my ball python's enclosure. I'm still not sure what I think of the effectiveness in terms of use with hedgehogs. It works well for my ball python - they're meant to heat objects more than the air, which means they create good basking spots for reptiles by heating the tank objects for them to curl up on. When I talked to someone from the website I ordered from, they weren't sure they would be appropriate for a hedgehog.

That said, with my ball python's enclosure, the panel is ensuring the enclosure stays around 78-81F on the cooler side & several degrees warmer on the warmer side. That's measured with a thermometer on the cool side & temp gun pointed at various areas on the warm side. So I'm starting to think it might work for a hedgehog enclosure & considering getting a second one to try for Bindi.

This is the website where I got mine - http://www.reptilebasics.com/rbi-radiant-heat-panels I think they're cheaper than the site you linked, and I adore this company. I've ordered numerous times from them & had great experiences every time - they even caught an error I made in ordering last time (wrong size bulb for the fixture I was buying) & fixed it for me before sending out the order! You might want to message to double check with them that it's safe to mount them on a wood enclosure. I think it would be fine, but just in case! Mine's mounted on a PVC enclosure.

RIP my sweet Lily ~ 6/12/08 - 1/20/12
Lilysmommy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
che, chenalternative, heating

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in