CHE not arriving for 3 days - interim options? - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-24-2016, 12:37 AM   #1 (permalink)

Unhappy CHE not arriving for 3 days - interim options?

Hello there!

I just brought a new hedgie home yesterday and she's got everything she needs except an extra heat source. I had ordered a CHE + thermostat, but it's now not arriving until Saturday, and the weather turned frightfully cold today. I live in a basement that's normally well heated, but due to the sudden snow/sleet situation, it's a little colder than I'm comfortable with, for her sake.

Right now I've got her cage sitting on some towels to keep her off the floor and padded the side that's against the wall to try to ward off some of the cold, and I've covered the cage as well, but I know it's probably still not ideal and I'm worried about the next couple of days.

She was very active last night, wandering around, eating, running on her wheel, but tonight she's staying tucked in her hide. Since we're new to each other, she's VERY huffy and spikes and hisses if I try to go near her, so I can't really touch her to feel if she's cold.

I was debating getting a heat pad to stick under her hide until the CHE gets here, but I've read mixed reviews about those. Any suggestions?
whimsybird is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-24-2016, 04:47 AM   #2 (permalink)

Just wondering if you had an estimated numerical temperature? That would help. Each hedgehog has different tolerances, but there are definitely too-cold temperatures.

I wouldn't recommend a heat pad, as you would need a thermostat for it anyways, since those can get pretty hot. A better bet would probably be getting a small/safe space heater for the room, and maybe place it closer to the cage.

What kind of bedding do you have her on? Fleece bedding would probably be the warmest. Do you have any snuggle sacks/bonding bags for her? Adding some fleece scraps to the bag could make things toastier.

Another thing to remember is that hedgehogs will huff and spike at you in an attempt to scare you. If you back away or leave them alone when they do, they'll learn that it's working. You want to be confident and pick her up regardless. If you're holding her the right way up while being still, calm, and warm, she should eventually unfurl and you'll be able to feel if she's cold.

Munchkin
(also known as "Munchy", "Crunchy", "Crunch Wrap Supreme" & "The Cranky Crayon")
Born on 10/09/17.

The Canadian Quill Zone: On Hiatus due to grieving.
Etsy | Facebook | Instagram

RIP Marcy (Marceline).
Gone, but never forgotten.
I wish the stars had visiting hours so that we could play again.
10/23/14 - 11/20/17
Hammy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-24-2016, 07:55 AM   #3 (permalink)

I don't have a numerical temp, because I don't have access to the thermostat for the house, but I'd estimate it's... 65 degrees-ish? It's a tiny bit too chilly to feel comfortable in just a T-shirt.

Half her cage is fleece bedding, with the half she uses as her toilet paper towel. Her hide is stuffed with fleece as well, which she burrows in when she's inside.

And I definitely plan to handle her regardless of hissing/huffing, it's just that it literally was her second day and I wanted to give her a chance to adjust to new place/new smells/new sounds for a day or two before handling her. It's now Day 2 - is it okay to pick her up for a bit?
whimsybird is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2016, 05:04 PM   #4 (permalink)

You can pick her up at any time. You need a thermometer in the cage at all times, the house's thermostat is not going to give you an accurate temperature reading of the cage's.

Anything under 73 is cold and under 70 forget it. You need a space heater ASAP. Because there are too many days with cold weather.

They need the air warm so adding fleece or a heating pad won't help.
Artemis-Ichiro is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
heat, hibernation prevention, new hedgie

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in