150watt bulb, heating a c&c cage. Do I need a thermostat? - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-10-2012, 02:13 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default 150watt bulb, heating a c&c cage. Do I need a thermostat?

Hello there.

I have bought a 150watt Ceramic Heat Emitter for my hedgie's c&c cage.
I have a question about if I necessarily need the thermostat or not.
It seems to be $30-$50 depending on if you get a cheap one online or just go to a petstore.
Do I really need this? On the box for this emitter it says if you keep the bulb certain distances away it will heat a cage more or less effectively.
Should I just play around with it [i don't even get my hedgie until the last week of Feb] or just buy a thermostat.

150 Watt bulb:
6" - 98.6F
12" 89.6F
18" - 84.2F
^ All of those heating options are also very hot compared to what he needs. I was hoping to just have it set on top of his cage, which is a 14" tall c&c. 2x3
But now I'm thinking of having a handyman friend makeshift something so **** stay at 75F

Please help.

I'd love to not buy unnecessary items so I can save more money for emergency vet bills, and the initial hedgehog.
Thank you
Lexxy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-10-2012, 02:16 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: 150watt bulb, heating a c&c cage. Do I need a thermostat?

You'll need the thermostat. Having the CHE on 24/7 will make the cage too warm. Distancing the CHE too far from the cage will decrease the area of the cage you're actually heating (aka there will be a small area that's 75 F and the surrounding areas would be too cool)
chelsea.kang is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-10-2012, 02:34 PM   #3 (permalink)

I guess what I'm not understanding is how the bulb will be heating the entire cage to 75F if it's only over one area and the cage is C&c

Old 02-10-2012, 02:44 PM   #4 (permalink)

It really depends on the dome size you get. The bigger the dome the more it can spread out the heat. However depending on the size of your C&C you may need two CHEs.

I have a 2x3 C&C with two 150W CHEs in 10" domes. My house is kept at 70 F. I do not wrap my cage in any fleece blankets, its pretty open. With my setup I can keep Marvin's cage between 75F - 77F.
chelsea.kang is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-10-2012, 03:23 PM   #5 (permalink)
Super Moderator

The reason you want a thermostat is because it'll control the CHE when you're not around, and make sure the cage stays at the correct temperature, no matter what the rest of the environment is like. Sometimes houses or room temperatures can fluctuate based on the main heating, or the weather outside, etc. A thermostat will turn the CHE on and off to help keep the right temperature. Otherwise if the room temperature goes down because of the main heating having an issue, or if you have your main thermostat set to be lower at night (I know ours does, goes from 68 down to 64 at night), or it suddenly gets cold outside...anything like that, if you don't have a thermostat, the CHE isn't going to be able to keep up with that change. The distance that you have it set at that keeps the cage at 75 normally will be too much when the temperature of the room/house is lower, and the cage temp will decrease as well, affecting your hedgehog.

Long explanation, sorry. But really, a thermostat IS an necessary part of a CHE set up, so it's best to just buy it. That way you won't run into any future problems with sudden temperature issues and a hibernating hedgehog. It'll also save you some money in the long run with not having the CHE running 24/7 - it'll be off sometimes, when it's not needed.

Edit: Forgot I was going to add, this is especially a tricky thing with C&C set ups, because they're so open. Even when you're insulating them, they can be hard to heat. So it's best to play it safe and make sure the cage will stay warm enough.

RIP my sweet Lily ~ 6/12/08 - 1/20/12
Lilysmommy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-12-2012, 11:11 AM   #6 (permalink)

Thank you for your help guys.
I just bought a zilla thermostat on amazon and I'm going to buy another lamp/emitter this week for the cage.
:]

Getting close.
Hopefully I'll be getting my little guy the 2nd week of March.

Just need coroplast and the food.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in