CHE v. space heater - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-22-2011, 06:19 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default CHE v. space heater

Does anyone here prefer space heaters to CHE? We have this one http://www.target.com/p/Holmes-Oil-Fill ... tailbutton

We got a CHE and I think the space heater works much better. I am thinking of returning the CHE. Is there any reason the CHE is better than the space heater?

Anyone have a similar experience? We have a single ferret nation, the CHE has ran all day (I do have it on a thermostat) to keep it at 75 according to my digital thermometer. It is a 150 w with a 10 in dome. The space heater would at least kick on and off. If I open the door to the small room he is in--woosh all the heat is gone! I just don't think it is big enough to keep the FN warm.
*buffy* is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-22-2011, 10:32 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: CHE v. space heater

CHEs are best for people who are uncomfortable in 74+* temperatures and would rather heat the cage itself rather than the whole room.

I personally use a space heater to heat my room to 71*, then have the thermostat with my 2 CHEs set at about 75*. There's a little bit of fluctuation, but her cage temp stays steady between 74.5* and 77.5*.

Space heaters work well (if you're good at closing the door behind you!), but they are very drying. The humidity in my hedgehog's room has been so low that my gadget that records temp & humidity says "lo" for the humidity reading I will be buying a humidifier shortly, since hogs need some humidity to help prevent dry skin.

You could always get a 2nd CHE set up.

Also, I have seen some pretty neat pictures of people who use fleece as insulation for their ferret nations. If I remember correctly, they take longer pieces of fleece and thread them through the bars all around the sides and back of the cage and clip the fleece on with those black and silver binder clips. Doing something like that might help you retain heat in there a bit better.

This message was brought to you by Mildred the Hedgehog's slave, Hannah! ^.^
hanhan27 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-23-2011, 12:20 AM   #3 (permalink)

I prefer CHEs because space heaters definitely dry the air out more and in my opinion are more of a fire hazard. CHEs hooked to a thermostat also seem to keep my cage (also an open wire cage) at a more consistent temperature. If your CHE is on 24/7 you may need to get a second one. Mine periodically turns on and off because it has achieved the temp I set my thermostat on. Also keep in mind if your hedgie is young and quilling, dry skin will only make the process more painful and stressful for the poor little guy/girl.
chelsea.kang is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2011, 01:27 AM   #4 (permalink)
Super Moderator

I have to use both and see the pros/cons of both. CHEs (from my experience) can only heat the cage to about 5 degrees higher than the room temperature (though this probably also depends on how open the cage is). Being that Lily needs her cage around 80 degrees, I have to use a space heater to keep my room at least at 75 degrees. I like the CHEs since they heat just her cage, but there's the drawback of how much they can actually heat it. I like the space heater because I also like having my room warm, but it definitely does dry the air out. I recently got a warm-air humidifier and that's been helping with both the humidity in my room and also with heating it a bit.

RIP my sweet Lily ~ 6/12/08 - 1/20/12
Lilysmommy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-23-2011, 06:28 AM   #5 (permalink)

I did not know about the humidity issue. Thanks. Unfortunately our house is dry in the winter from central heating/forced air heating. Do you find the oil filled heaters to be as drying as the traditional ceramic space heaters? I have a couple of humidifiers I can pull out if needed. For now we are going back to the space heater. We are also now able to cover his cage which I think will be helpful with our lighting issues. The room he is in is quite small and therefore not difficult to keep warm, so that is one good thing.
*buffy* is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-23-2011, 08:56 AM   #6 (permalink)
Hooked on Hogs

I don't use CHE's all the time as my hedgehog room has an oil filled heater, but I do use CHE's with any rescues and rehomes that come to me and are in quarantine for the first month. I've never had any problem keeping the cages warm enough, in fact, when using the 150 emitter, I had trouble keeping the temperature low enough. The emitter seemed to be overkill.

I've used 30" x 18" as well as 42" (might have been larger) x 20" plastic bottomed wire topped cages. I put clear plastic around the back and either one or both ends to hold the heat in. Our house is usually about 68F and I had no trouble keeping the cages at 76/77 or higher if I wanted to turn it up.

Right now, I have a boy that came back to me because his mother is severely allergic. He is in my bedroom in the 32" x 20" Marchioro cage with a 60watt emitter and it easily keeps his cages at 75F.

Very open cages such as Ferret Nations and C&C are difficult to hold the heat. The clear, heavy plastic sold by the yard in fabric stores works great for helping hold heat in and doesn't block the light or visibility.

CHE's work great for people with one or two hedgehogs and those who don't want the whole room heated to the hedgehogs comfort level. CHE's use less electricity because you are heating a smaller area with a smaller wattage of heater. CHE's use the same as a similar sized light bulb.

Oil filled heaters produce a lovely warm fill the room type of heat but the draw back is, we humans have to like that much heat or we find the room uncomfortably warm.

Basically it's what we like the best. If I only had a couple hedgehogs, I'd use CHE's and only CHE's. For 9 hedgehogs, CHE's aren't practical.

Retired from breeding

Rescue contact for both the Hedgehog Welfare Society and the IHA
Rescued over 70 (and counting) hedgehogs needing a new home

http://freewebs.com/thehedgieden/
Nancy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-23-2011, 11:07 AM   #7 (permalink)

All I know is that it costs less to run 300 watts of CHE than 1500 watts of space heater
I calculated it based on my bill (I live in Central NY)
I have 300 watts of CHE and it costs $6 a month to run it for about 20 hours per day
My house mate has a 1500 watt space heater in her room (not for hedgies, just because she's cold) and it costs $15 a month to run it for only 10 hours.
You would probably have to run the darn thing for at least 20 hours per day so it would be $30 a month!!
Thank god for math. haha

DexterTheHog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-26-2011, 09:50 PM   #8 (permalink)

I've never had a CHE, and I've only had a hedgehog --Mary Harly-Chip Poppins-- for one day. But, I hate the space heater. I have a humidifier, but the air is noticeably drier.

I just don't like the whole room being 76 degree. Hopefully the CHE bulb from amazon isn't broke when I get it.
alsohere is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in