2 less hedgies = brand new heating issues :( - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-22-2011, 10:44 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default 2 less hedgies = brand new heating issues :(

I've recently been having some major heating/housing issues and I'm trying to figure out the best way to fix them or if I even need to.

I currently have one hedgie, Oakley, but I used to have three and never had any heating issues because because Oakley's 2 x 150watt ceramic heat lamps, and the other two hedgie's 150 watt heat lamps, the room was always SO warm and toasty. In fact this past summer after Puff's passing, even with just the two hedgies, the heat lamps were practically never on (they are on a thermostat) because the temp was so stable in the room.

However, since Chloe's rehoming and winter's fast-approach, I have had a really hard time keeping Oakely's cage warm. Even with the heat lamps on all the time, and the heat on in my house, his cage temp still sits around 62F at its highest, and drops down to 58F at its lowets. I KNOW, I KNOW you are thinking "ahhh hibernation, get that hedgehog heat NOW" but here's the other thing, Oakley is MOST active and happiest at lower temperatures.

He lived the first couple years of his life at his previous home with NO heating source what so ever, had one of those barely warm red lamps at the humane society and then has had a constant heat source ever since coming to me. But I always found he seemed too hot. He always refused to sleep in his sleep sac when the temperature is above 70 and wasnt as active / gained like 100g even when on a 8-10% fat diet and just seemed too hot. Now at 60ish F, he sleeps in his sleep sac, runs like crazy on his wheel, and is maintaining a healthy weight and seems less lethargic all around.

He has NEVER attempted to hibernate, his belly is always toasty warm and he's 100% healthy, so my question is, is it okay for him to stay at this temperature? Is it possible he got acclimatized to it when he was growing up? (I learned something about this in my University ecology class, about gold fish being raised at different water temps and being happiest at those temps / unable to handle higher temps).

That being said, I would LIKE to keep it a little warmer and a little more stable but I cant afford a whole new heating set-up (I would need another reptitemp 500R, and new heat lamps and bulbs (since everything is at its maximum capacity right now). So Im thinking a slightly smaller/ better insulated cage would better, at least just for the winter. I'm not a HUGE fan of his current cage anyways, its too open and too long which makes it hard to keep warm and insulating the sides with plastic would be too hard. I had C & C cages for the previous hedgies but Chloe's went with her and I sold Puff's to pay her $500 vet bills .

Anyhow here's his current setup:

I would rather not buidl another custom cage, im not very crafty and the old ones were such a pain to clean! so are there any better commercial cages out there???

Any suggestions are welcome!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in