Heating the hedgehogs cage! - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-05-2011, 11:58 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Heating the hedgehogs cage!

Hey, I was about to buy a bunch of things that I need to heat my future hedgehogs cage, but was looking for some advice first. I heard a 150 watt CHE is best- here is the product I was thinking of buying- http://www.amazon.com/Zoo-Med-ReptiCare ... B0002AQCQO.

Here is the lamp that would go with it- http://www.amazon.com/Zoo-Med-Deluxe-Po ... lies_img_b

Finally, here is the thermostat (Zoo Med ReptiTemp 500R Remote Sensor Thermostat)- http://www.amazon.com/Zoo-Med-ReptiTemp ... lies_img_c

The total of these three products is about $65. I was wondering if these products are compatible with each other. Also, I heard the thermostat doesn't have a temperature gauge, and can only be set to low, med, and high, so I would need to get a thermometer too and figure out which temp correlates with it.

Does anyone have a better option for a similar heating setup that is easier to understand, but around the same price or even cheaper?
whispy1990 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-06-2011, 12:26 AM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: Heating the hedgehogs cage!

A thermostat does have a temp gauge but you will still want a thermometer. I suggest you read this: https://hedgehogcentral.com/forums/vi...php?f=8&t=4579

How big is your cage? You might only need a 100w CHE which I would think is cheaper. I got everthing on the topic I put the link to and it works great

CourtneyFaye is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-06-2011, 12:38 AM   #3 (permalink)

I havent received the cage yet, but I think its 30ish inches long by 18 inches wide. The 100 and 150 watt are the same price on amazon, so I suppose it doesnt matter. The link to the thermostat I posted isn't set by temperature I think- you can only set it to low, med,or high. Do you know of a brand where I can put something like 75 degrees and it will heat it to that? The only one I could find was obscenely expensive.
whispy1990 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2011, 12:56 AM   #4 (permalink)

http://www.amazon.com/Zilla-Temperat...0551521&sr=8-2

This is what I use. It is hard to tell from the picture but you can set the temperature on the dial. It's a few cents cheaper then the one you were looking at

CourtneyFaye is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-06-2011, 01:18 PM   #5 (permalink)
Administrator

I would go with a 10' dome fixture instead of the 8.5' one. A larger dome will spread the heat out in a larger area and help keep the cage warmer.

http://www.quillsnthings.webs.com
nikki is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-06-2011, 04:32 PM   #6 (permalink)

CourtneyFaye, the thermostat Whispy linked us to does not have temperature settings. It's just low and high.

I have this one and it drove me crazy for 2 weeks until I figured out just where to put the dial. I recommend getting one that has actual temp settings (The one CourtneyFaye linked would probably be a better choice as far as accuracy and ease. It will make your life so much easier!). I'm assuming you were looking at digital ones, which are more expensive.

This is as simple as a CHE set up gets when you use a thermostat (which you need). The CHE screws into the dome, the dome plugs into the thermostat, the thermostat plugs into the wall, and you want at least 1 thermometer to put in the cage to monitor that the thermostat is doing it's job correctly. It seems like a lot, but it's not. I promise.

Be careful when buying CHEs online - I bought one that was for a certain brand of dome (it wasn't the screw-in kind of bulb, it had weird clip things), but the picture was a picture of the product showed a bulb with the screw-in base. And they wouldn't even give me a refund! Annoying, but a good learning experience.

Your heating options are CHEs, space heaters, or turning the heat in the whole house on. CHEs are good energy savers and the cost of the whole set up is about the same (probably cheaper, actually) as the cost of a space heater with the features you would need.

This message was brought to you by Mildred the Hedgehog's slave, Hannah! ^.^
hanhan27 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-20-2011, 11:01 PM   #7 (permalink)

http://www.amazon.com/Westinghouse-T004 ... roduct_top

You could purchase something like this. You push the rubber part down at the times you want your lamp to be on. So it could be on for 30 minutes every 2 hours or something like that. It will involve trial and error to figure out what times will work best. But, the timer is inexpensive and easy to use!
Joex is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in