HEATING ADVICE FOR MY C&C CAGE BEFORE WINTER - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-30-2011, 12:53 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default HEATING ADVICE FOR MY C&C CAGE BEFORE WINTER

Hi I am writing because I am going to be getting 2 hedgehogs in 3 weeks. I have 2 C&C cages set up that are 3foot by 3foot. We live in upstate NY and our house is heated with a pelletstove. In the main living areas is usually stays around 70 to 74F The rest of the house is mostly 67 to 70F. My question is what would be the best heating for my little guys. I have read the forums on heating options but what would work for my paticular situation? And should I keep them in the livingroom where the heat is at it highest? I rather not add space heaters to exspensive to run. Was wondering if the ceramic heat emitters would work on this cage and what size should I get? I will be using fleece liners as well. and should I wrap the cages with a blanket as well. Thanks guys any advice to my paticular situation will help...
stephy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-30-2011, 01:12 PM   #2 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Default Re: HEATING ADVICE FOR MY C&C CAGE BEFORE WINTER

I have a C&C cage as well, and they do have challenges with heating. I have two 150 watt CHEs for Lily's cage, but to keep it warm enough for her (she needs it between 78-81 degrees), I still have to wrap it in blankets, and run a space heater in my room to keep my room around 74-76 degrees.

I would suggest keeping them in the living room where it's warmest, using blankets to help hold the heat in, and getting at least 150 watt CHEs. You may find you need two as well to help keep the entire cage warm. It's also recommended to get the cage off the floor if at all possible, and put it on a table or something, since heat rises, and the floor would be colder. If you can't do that (which I can't), I've had it suggested to me to help insulate the bottom of the cage as well by putting blankets underneath it.

Just to warn you, CHE set-ups ARE expensive, usually costing at least $100 to get all the parts (CHE bulb, fixture, and thermostat). The fixture is usually around $20, CHE bulb is around $30-35, and the thermostat I think is around $50? I can't remember exactly. So it'll cost a lot to get them for both your cages, especially if you need two bulbs for each cage. However, I do have this thermostat - http://www.petco.com/product/108340/Zil ... SiteSearch and it has three outlets for fixtures to be plugged into. So if you go with that, you'd only need two, one for each cage. Once you get CHE set-ups though, they're cheap to run since the bulbs are like running a regular light bulb.

RIP my sweet Lily ~ 6/12/08 - 1/20/12
Lilysmommy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-30-2011, 03:12 PM   #3 (permalink)

Thanks for responding. Would it be easier to put them in the sterlite containers for the winter so that its a smaller place to keep warm. And what would you use for them? Thanks so much...

Old 09-30-2011, 03:15 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephy
Thanks for responding. Would it be easier to put them in the sterlite containers for the winter so that its a smaller place to keep warm. And what would you use for them? Thanks so much...
You'd still need a CHE for each and you'd want to get the largest one possible which usually is sold only around/after Christmas for optimal space considering house, wheel, water/food bowls, any toys or tubes, etc. else attach a second with PVC pipe if its smaller but then it may be harder for a CHE to get both warm.
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-30-2011, 05:03 PM   #5 (permalink)

how do you connect it to the bin or should I have my husband mount it to the wall. Hes a carpenter so sure he could do that. And how far from the top should it be. Thanks again for those that have responded. I feel ill be fine once i get them but just worried about the heating thing. I tend to worry alot hahaha like to be over prepared then not... thanks
Old 09-30-2011, 08:40 PM   #6 (permalink)
Super Moderator

A lot of people use this fixture for the CHEs - http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.j ... oduct+Type You'll want to get the biggest size (the 10") so it spreads the heat out more and keeps the cage warmer overall. It comes with the clamp part, so it's easy to clamp onto the side of the bin or C&C, whichever you end up keeping them in.

RIP my sweet Lily ~ 6/12/08 - 1/20/12
Lilysmommy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in