Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum - View Single Post - What is your hedgies favorite foods?
View Single Post
Old 09-22-2011, 01:43 PM   #6 (permalink)
Lilysmommy
Super Moderator

Default Re: What is your hedgies favorite foods?

Lily's favorites include mealworms, crickets, plain cooked chicken, watermelon, cantaloupe, peas baby food, and Wellness Healthy Indulgence packs. She gets mealworms and crickets every night, getting more mealworms right now since I'm trying to get weight back on her. I usually give her a tablespoon of mixed baby foods (at least one meat, one fruit, and a few different veggies) a night, but since she's lost a ton of weight from being sick lately, she's not getting that right now. Instead, she's getting 4-5 chunks of meat from a package of Wellness Healthy Indulgence. I highly recommend those for people with hedgies who like meat, they're great. Good ingredients, little chunks of meat in gravy (I cut them in half for Lily since she eats them so fast, I don't want her to choke), and you can easily store them in the fridge in a plastic container or freeze them and thaw them out each night.

With the baby food, I've tried several mixes, I don't really remember what was in each of them. I usually have either chicken or turkey for the meat (or use wet cat food and mix it in with the baby foods), sweet potatoes, peas, green beans, and maybe something like broccoli/carrots, and then a random fruit. After trying just one baby food at a time for awhile and not having any success getting her to eat any veggie ones other than peas and sometimes green beans, I started mixing them together with a meat, which got her to eat most/all of the mix, and get her veggies. She doesn't have much interest in fresh veggies or most fresh fruits other than melons. I know other people have had good success with different berries, like strawberries, raspberries, or blueberries, but Lily turns her nose up at all of them. So I call her a "melon hog" instead of a "berry hog".

RIP my sweet Lily ~ 6/12/08 - 1/20/12
Lilysmommy is offline   Reply With Quote