The Mysterious Case of Mimsie - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By MomLady
  • 1 Post By nikki

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-21-2015, 01:17 PM   #1 (permalink)

Unhappy The Mysterious Case of Mimsie

Hello everyone! I apologize if I'm not posting in the correct place. My hedgehog, Mimsie (Mims for short), has been very very sick for about a week, and I'm looking for help to figure out what's going on. We've been to the vet almost every day for fluids and antibiotics, but she still isn't well.
So, here's the breakdown of what's going on.
Last Friday she began vomiting up foam and then became very still and lethargic. I took her to the vet where she got fluids, steroids, and began a round of antibiotics. After a few days of this treatment, she bounced back and seemed like her normal self. Then, all of a sudden, she was lethargic and not wanting to move again. She started throwing up a weird bright green color, which made us think she had eaten some blue litter beads (I used Kaytee Critter Litter). She got really bad, so we got more fluids and steroids, and we started her on the antibiotics again just in case the first round wasn't for long enough. We've moved her to a brand new cage with fleece lining and no litter, just in case there was some bug or virus in the old one. This morning when I took her to the vet, I noticed a large bruise/sore on her chest. It's not where we've been injecting her, so something else must be causing it. I thought it could potentially be a bedsore, so I've been moving her around extra today. I'm puzzled, as is my vet. I hate seeing my little one suffer when I don't know what to do to make her better. Any ideas as to what's going on? Prayers, thoughts, and crossed fingers would be much appreciated. I don't want to lose my sweet girl.
Thank you,
-Rebecca
beccalilly is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-21-2015, 02:46 PM   #2 (permalink)

Do you have a heating set up? Do you have a thermometer in the cage--what temperature is SHE feeling?

Do you have a light schedule?

How old is she?

Everyone is going to want to know these things. Also is she eating and drinking?

Even if she does have a heating system, you may want to bump up the temp while she is sick.
Buttons and Mr. Prickles like this.

RIP dearest Rana 4-19-15 --12-12-19, I will miss you forever

RIP my dear Nara 7/2/10---1/6/15. Mommy will always love you.
MomLady is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-21-2015, 02:59 PM   #3 (permalink)

Has your vet tested for any bacteria in vomit/droppings? I think you did a good thing by removing the litter. Even though the kaytee critter litter is ''non toxic'' it's made of a type of clay. Depending on how much of it your hedggie ate of it, it could cause an intestinal blockage.

Is she still pooping and eating normally? Have you changed any foods recently? Has her weight changed?
Buttons is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2015, 07:02 PM   #4 (permalink)

http://www.curezone.org/forums/am.asp?i=1637716

Kaytee critter litter is 100% bentonite clay and has been known to cause intestinal blockages. People have been using it as a clense. However they warn you must drink plenty of water to flush the clay out of your colon.

I would definitely ask your vet if this could be a possible cause or linked to your hedggies symptoms.
Old 03-21-2015, 10:57 PM   #5 (permalink)
Administrator

I don't know what wrong with your hedgehog but I wanted to mention the hedgehog bile is bright green so that's probably what the green vomit was.
Buttons likes this.

http://www.quillsnthings.webs.com
nikki is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-22-2015, 01:17 AM   #6 (permalink)

I agree with Nikki the bile is likely why you're seeing green vomit.

What can happen with people who clense with this type of clay have found it's possible that the duct that leads from the gallbladder to the stomach is full of clay and can cause a back up or blockage or back up of bile.

The bile can't empty into the stomach as usual and has no where to go because of a possible blockage. Usually bowel movements are also hindered in the process also.
Old 03-22-2015, 04:46 PM   #7 (permalink)

Mimsie does have a heating set up. I have two ceramic heating lamps hooked up to an automatic thermostat to make sure it stays at a consistent temperature. I usually keep it at least at 75, but since she's been sick I've been keeping it closer to 80. I've been checking her belly and it's been warm. She is on a light schedule as well. She's close to a window for natural light during the day, and I turn the lights off at the same time each night. Her age is around 3 years old. Today she just started eating and drinking some. She's been getting water and Pedialyte from a dropper, and we soaked her kibble in water to make a mush, which she licked up. She kept everything down today! (Yay!)
Our vet did test her droppings and they were negative for bacteria. We have noticed less poop, and when she does go, it's greenish and a weird sticky consistency that almost gets stuck. Also, we haven't changed her food recently. What's the best treatment? Keep her hydrated and fed and wait for it to pass?
Thanks for the advice, I wanted to make sure I was doing everything I could to help.
beccalilly is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
antibiotics, bruise, lethargic, vomiting

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in