Not drinking or eating as much - but very active - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-14-2015, 04:06 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Not drinking or eating as much - but very active

Hey everybody. I am new to this forum and 6 months new to the whole owning a hedgie thing.

My little Wallace has stopped eating and drinking as much as usual lately, but has been very active. Additionally, after holding her for a while today, I noticed that some of her hair (not quills) had fallen out. There wasn't an obscene amount of hair, but enough for me to notice.

The lack of eating and drinking would concern me more if she (yes I named a female hedgie Wallace) weren't so active. While she didn't eat or drink much last night, she did run on her wheel for a good two hours.

I would love some input on this. I just want to be sure she's okay.
earlylight36 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-14-2015, 04:33 PM   #2 (permalink)

Hello! I am not trying to alarm you. But i would really take him to the vet. Hedgehogs should never be losing hair. Do you bather him often? Dont bathe them to often and rinse them very well other wise this could happen. If ur hedgie is not eating AT ALL this is a big problem because hedgehogs tend to eat alot being naturally plump. it could be an infection so just watch him. If it goes away dont worry. But this does sound like a problem.
Mia_Is_My_Hedgie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-14-2015, 10:22 PM   #3 (permalink)
Super Moderator

While activity can sometimes be a good indication about state of health, I would be more concerned about her being off on her eating & drinking. Sometimes with animals, activity may not change as much as you'd expect from illness, especially with prey animals. One reason can be they try to act as normal as they can to avoid predation. Another is that sometimes running is a stress response for hedgehogs & some other animals, so their activity may not seem affected.

I would double check for any environmental factors that could be causing the issues - check the food for whether it's stale or might be a new bag that had a formula change. Check your water. Make sure the cage temperature is appropriate and that she's getting enough light during the day.

If you can't find anything, I would schedule a vet appointment just to get her checked out & make sure it's nothing serious.

RIP my sweet Lily ~ 6/12/08 - 1/20/12
Lilysmommy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2015, 11:59 PM   #4 (permalink)

Hey guys, thank you for the responses. I've been checking her stool for any changes lately, and haven't seen anything concerning. I'll probably get a vet's opinion just to make sure she does alright.

In the event that she does have some sort of issue, do you have any recommendations for how to give her antibiotics? I had to syringe feed her for two weeks and she still doesn't trust me.

Thanks!
earlylight36 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-18-2015, 07:55 PM   #5 (permalink)

Oh I just typed up a similar set of symptoms in not drinking or eating very much over the last week...

See here...

https://www.hedgehogcentral.com/forum...king-week.html

Is the general consensus here is not been eating or drinking much at all for a period of time to get this checked out at the vet just to be sure there is no infection or anything more serious?
SpikyThings is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in