Enteritis case, I need some help (and good thoughts) - Hedgehog Central – Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-17-2009, 10:07 AM   #1 (permalink)

Unhappy Enteritis case, I need some help (and good thoughts)

Ok, I kinda hate to introduce myself that way, but Chin n Quills is down, and my little girl is sick and I'd like some advice.

Litchi is my 3 years old hedgie and I own ser since she's 6 weeks.

Two night ago I noticed not much food was gone. Also, 1-2 days before, I just gave her new hedgie bag I made. But the fleece did make some fuzzball, so I got scared it can do Litchi wrong (if she ate them) so I gave her her old one. I replaced the food and said to me if she's like tomorow, I'll count her pellets. Usually when I get a little upset like that she eat like the pig in the night. She didn't. I counted her pellets and she ate only 2 and only one tiny poo. So off to the vet.

My boyfriend took her to our vet (she was nice to squeeze us in since they say they don't do emergency). He told her about the fuzball and so they took X-Ray. They didn't see and impatico, wich is kinda good I guess, but her poor GI Track was empty and full of gas.

They gave us Metronidazol, Novamoxin and Bene-Bac (between her meds to help her GI track). Now I'm serynging her food (hill's AD and I'll try some baby pea food she likes) and water and I'm wondering how much I should gave her. I try do feed her a little at the time but more often since she seems to be in pain when I feed her. Also the vent metioned it would be a good thing to add a dab of mineral oil, is that a good thing?

Also I wonder if massaging her tummy would be good? I know it's a good thing to to on chin that has GI Statis, but I don't know on hedgies...

Thank you and please have good thoughts for her.

Gone, but never forgotten
Etsy shop: K52 artworks
K52 artworks on Facebook
FiaSpice is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-17-2009, 12:58 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: Enteritis case, I need some help (and good thoughts)

Sorry to hear that Litchi is not feeling well, i cant give you much help but i sympathize and know how worrying and frustrating it is when they stop eating. ( Did the vet also check her teeth?)
Keeping her in my thoughts and prayers.
Cimredopyh is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-17-2009, 02:01 PM   #3 (permalink)

Yes, her teeth are fine. She has a chipped tooth since a long time, but the vet said it won't cause any problem. The good thing is the X-ray showed no tumors or anything and the vet said she was in suberb contition for a 3 year old.

K52 artworks on Facebook

Old 01-17-2009, 02:14 PM   #4 (permalink)
Administrator

Wow , I tried postign this earlier and it didn't actually post.

My general rule for syringe feeding is usually to give them as much as they will willingly take. With that said, i typically like to see at least 4 ccs a feeding, given 3 feedings a day. And that is usually if they are eating on their own some too. If they aren't eating I've had hedgehogs eat as much as 7 ccs a sitting.

I've never heard the term gi stasis referred to a hedgehog. Their bowels are not like rabbits and chinchillas so I suspect that is why. When I've had one that had nothing in their bowels, the vet was more concerned with getting food back in.

Mineral oil is a laxative. Does the vet feel there is a blockage that would pass with a laxative?

Is the hedgehog actually eating what you are syringe feeding?

Snuffle!
Kalandra is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-17-2009, 02:50 PM   #5 (permalink)
Hooked on Hogs

I'm sorry Litchi is sick. I've had ones full of gas before and they've bounced back quickly.

When I am syringing I always try to get them to eat as much as possible. It depends on how much s/he eats how often I syringe. If they will only take a few mls at a time, I syringe every couple of hours. I aim for 3-4 mls, 3-4 times per day. One thing that is helpful is to know how much your hedgehog will eat when s/he is not sick. Some are light eaters, others pigs. I also judge how sick they are by how much they willingly take. We had a little intestinal issue here in the fall with a few of them and while they wouldn't touch a thing on their own, they happily ate 7-10 ish mls per feeding with me syringing them.

Give her a hug for me and tell her my gang want her to get feeling better soon.

Hugs

Retired from breeding

Rescue contact for both the Hedgehog Welfare Society and the IHA
Rescued over 70 (and counting) hedgehogs needing a new home

http://freewebs.com/thehedgieden/
Nancy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-17-2009, 02:54 PM   #6 (permalink)

The vet tought that she might have some of the fuzz ball but isn't sure since it didn't show on the x-rays. Since yesterday she ate about 4 cc of food and 8cc of Pedyalite and 1.5 cc of water. The goo thing is that she seemed more willing to take food today. So I'll try a couple of times to see if that works.

K52 artworks on Facebook
Old 01-17-2009, 03:05 PM   #7 (permalink)

From my understanding, if you do believe something is causing blockage, wouldn't an ultrasound be a more accurate determination? I hope Litchi gets better and if she is taking syringed foods without throwing it back up then hopefully this is not a blockage. My vet also believes that Miss Annabelle Oswald also consumed fuzz from her hedgie bag which may have irritated her stomach. Keeping quills crossed for Litchi.

Http://www.hectorshedgehogrescue.webs.com
Mom to many quilled ones, dearly missing all those who have passed on.
AprilD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-17-2009, 04:51 PM   #8 (permalink)

We're not sure about the fuzz, but it happend at the same time so it's kinda of a bad coincidence. I'm starting to think it wasn't a blocage since she just pooped on us. Ok not big, brown poo (small-medium and dark/green-ish), but it's a start. She just ate a whoping 5cc and drank about 3.5cc, here apetite is comming back and the meds will be kiking in soon.

The vet told my boyfriend she was surprised Litchi was lively as ever, running around super active. She said most of the time, owner wait 'till it's too late and they are thin, dehydrated and letargic. She said she had one owner that wanted to put his/her hedgehog to sleep because of gas. She was like "No I won't. Surrender the hedgie and I'll take care of him/her". Some people don't have a heart. It's not like it's too expensive only 175$ with 2 x-rays and 3 meds to make them better.

K52 artworks on Facebook
Old 01-17-2009, 05:21 PM   #9 (permalink)
Hooked on Hogs

I think it would be highly coincidental to suddenly start having hedgehogs with blockages from their bedding. Hedgehogs have been using fleece hedgiebags and things for years and this is the first I've ever heard of the possibility of a blockage because of it. Not saying it couldn't happen but weird to have two in such a short time span. Hopefully that is not the problem.

Retired from breeding

Rescue contact for both the Hedgehog Welfare Society and the IHA
Rescued over 70 (and counting) hedgehogs needing a new home

http://freewebs.com/thehedgieden/
Nancy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-17-2009, 05:39 PM   #10 (permalink)

I think so. But I'm not taking anymore chance. I'll buy new fleece that isn't that fluffy, like the old one, wich resisted to her digging but wasn't that cute. Now I'm stuck with 3 meters of useless fabrick *sigh*

K52 artworks on Facebook

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central – Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in