Hedgie stopped drinking, need advise ASAP! - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-11-2015, 04:56 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Hedgie stopped drinking, need advise ASAP!

My hedgie has been going through WHS and I'm starting to think we're getting closer to the end, she's not able to curl in a ball anymore and isn't able to walk. I've been hand feeding and watering her, and all of the sudden she won't drink, I get maybe a teaspoon in her and then she won't take anymore.

But she's still eating her normal daily amount, I feed her mushed up catfood because she hasn't been able to eat dry/hard food for quite a while. Can hedgehogs have chicken broth? I'm trying to think of something to entice her into letting me get some liquids into her, I'd really like some feedback!
flyingsushi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-11-2015, 05:22 AM   #2 (permalink)

I'm by no means knowledgable on this subject, but chicken broth sounds like a good compromise to me. Given that hedgehogs can ingest both chicken & water, I don't see why the combination of the two wouldn't be viable.

I hope somebody more knowledgable can give you some feedback soon though. The only other thing I would say (from past experience with other small animals) is not to force the water if she doesn't want it.
honeywhistle is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-11-2015, 07:52 AM   #3 (permalink)
Super Moderator

I wouldn't give store-bought chicken broth - if you want to give her that, make some at home or something. Store-bought, even the low-sodium kind, usually has a lot of salt in it, which won't help. I'd also water it down, just use some to flavor the water & see if that entices her to take more. I would keep syringing her water as much as you can, and you can also offer water-heavy foods like watermelon, cucumber, and lettuce. Extra water on her dry food is good too. You can also get plain Pedialite to syringe to her.

RIP my sweet Lily ~ 6/12/08 - 1/20/12
Lilysmommy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2015, 05:55 PM   #4 (permalink)

Ohh sorry to hear about your little one. Hedgehogs mostly get their daily moisture requirement from their food/prey. So if your hog still eats bugs (not just mealies) that can help prevent dehydration

Neil

" With great power comes great electricity bill... "
Tongue_Flicker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-12-2015, 02:41 AM   #5 (permalink)

So I tried chicken broth this evening and she wouldn't even lick at it, zilch. The only vet in the area is two hours away and doesn't have that much experience with hedgies, and I think the stress of the drive (on the hedgie) would be more than it's worth.
Besides chicken broth does anyone have any suggestions of what to give her?
flyingsushi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-12-2015, 08:39 AM   #6 (permalink)
Super Moderator

I posted more suggestions in my previous comment. If she has a sweet tooth, you could also try flavoring the water with honey or fruit juice (straight from the fruit, not store-bought juice, which has too much sugar).

Are you just offering her water in a spoon or something? You might have to directly syringe it to her. If you can't get some from the vet due to distance, usually pharmacies or other stores that sell medical supplies will have some needle-less syringes or ones with removable needles.

RIP my sweet Lily ~ 6/12/08 - 1/20/12
Lilysmommy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-18-2015, 02:51 AM   #7 (permalink)
Banned

I haven't had this problem myself but have you seen evidence that he is still peeing the same amount and color? I remember seeing someone say that bladder problems can cause them to stop drinking, but without experience I can't offer much solid advice.
David147 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in