7 wk old hedgie died - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-14-2011, 01:36 PM   #1 (permalink)

Question 7 wk old hedgie died

My family and I got a 6 wk old hedgehog 7 days ago and she died last night. I've had hedgehogs in the past as pets and am pretty familiar with them and I noticed within about 36-48 hours of bringing her home that something was wrong. I notified the breeder about it and she assured me that it was probably annointing I was seeing ( I reported bloody stool to her) and that she was probably stressed. She continued to get worse, lethargic, wobbly, eventually refusing to eat of drink. I wrote to the breeder two more times and had decided that I was going to bring her back today, if she made it through the night-which she didn't. The breeder is now insisting on a necropsy (which I can understand fom a business perspective if more time had passed) and I asked her if that could be waived since clearly something was wrong from the time I got her. We paid $175 dollars for her and the necropsy is going to be $150, this seems like poor business practice to me. My children are terribly upset that their little pet died and it happened within 7 days of bringing her home.
The only thing the breeder mentioned to me when we picked her up was that she was small for her age but soothed my concerns about it by assuring me she would be fine. I'm so frustrated and I don't know what to do. At this point I would just l ike my money back and get a new pet from a different, more reputable breeder.
Any thoughts? Is this grounds for reporting the breeder to the USDA (she is licensed)?

jla13 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-14-2011, 01:56 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: 7 wk old hedgie died

Im so sorry this haapened to you and your family. I would assume that if the necropsy showed that you were not at fault, you should be entitled to a refund from the breeder. I don't think there's much else you can do. But I'm sure someone with more experience in this will pipe in soon.
What was the temp of her cage? What food? What bedding?
Why didn't you just take her to the vet when you knew something was wrong? Even with the breeder reassurance, she can't see what you are seeing, so taking to the vet wouldve been more ideal.
Immortalia is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-14-2011, 02:05 PM   #3 (permalink)

I should have taken her to the vet. In the past the hedgehogs that I have had were all older and since she was so young, I took the breeder at her word. She seemed to rebound abit about three days ago but then by Tuesday was looking sluggish again and by Wednesday night I wrote the breeder and told her I would bring her back to her on Thursday but she didn't make it. The room she is kept in is about 70 degrees, however her cage had a heating pad to compensate. I have so much experience with animals and I should have just trusted my gut and taken her in, but by the time I made that decision it was too late. I left it up to the more experience breeder to calm my fears and I shouldn't have. Now I'm worried that I am going to face an up hill battle with this breeder about what to do next.

Old 04-14-2011, 02:15 PM   #4 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to lmashbri6983 Send a message via MSN to lmashbri6983 Send a message via Yahoo to lmashbri6983

sorry for your loss. I know that 70 is under the ideal temp of 73-78, that could have had something to do with it although it sounds like there's much more to it than she was just "too cold". (Also tip for future hedgie-keeping, heating pad should only be a supplemental heat, so if the temp in the house/cage is anything below 73 they'll need a heat source, like a CHE or space heater so their whole cage is kept warm enough) Some of the more experienced people here will be able to give much more input, but unfortunately with the story you gave, it doesnt sound like the breeder will try to work with you... I wish you tons of luck, keep us posted and hopefully someone more experienced will be able to help out more!

lmashbri6983 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-14-2011, 02:18 PM   #5 (permalink)

Thanks for the input. Could low temps be the cause of black tarry stools? That was the first thing that I noticed about her when I first got in touch with the breeder.

Old 04-14-2011, 02:35 PM   #6 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to lmashbri6983 Send a message via MSN to lmashbri6983 Send a message via Yahoo to lmashbri6983

From my knowledge (and again I"m far from an expert!), no... unless there's something else that I havent learned. I believe black stool can be from internal bleeding though, which is really alarming... I'd try messaging Nancy, she's a really experienced breeder and seems to know hedgies up, down, and sideways! Black tarry stool is a scary sign , I'm waiting for other *experienced* owners/breeders to comment more on this, but I'll definitely help you bump this thread up cause I think you've got a lot of answers that can be addressed!!

lmashbri6983 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-14-2011, 03:56 PM   #7 (permalink)

How awful! I am very sorry you had such an awful experience. Nancy is great when it comes to hedgie knowledge, she probably would have more feedback for you but I too have never heard of black tarry stool from a temp. issue. I understand what you mean about trusting the breeder though; when I got my first female we called her just to check in for the first few weeks and now that we have babies from that female she still stays in touch as my mentor breeder. So if this were to happen to me I too would probably have trusted their expertise I have a habit of thinking the worst and then talking myself out of things attributing it too my nervous nelly ways. Please keep us updates on what ends up happening. I think I woul go ahead with necropsy since as the person before me said you would probably get a refund if it was proved her fault. Let us know what happens. Good luck.
Old 04-14-2011, 04:32 PM   #8 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to Puffers315

Definitely need the input of Nancy on this, but indeed black tar like stool is a sign of internal bleeding. Is there anyway she could have fallen somewhere in the past 7 days?

I'm sorry for your loss.
Old 04-14-2011, 05:03 PM   #9 (permalink)
Hooked on Hogs

I am so sorry your baby died. How awful for your children.

Being retired breeder I see both your side and the breeders and you are kind of between a rock and a hard place.

Black tarry stools is usually internal bleeding.

A wee bit of bloody mucous in the stool can be from stress and intestinal irritation but along with the other symptoms and the tarry stool, I'd have huge concerns about the blood and get to the vet which had she come from me, I would have advised.

As a pet owner, I understand your frustration at buying a pet who dies a week later. To pay $150 for necropsy in order to get another baby seems unfair. I also think the fact that you were in touch with the breeder from the start that she should maybe meet you half way.

As a breeder I understand her requiring a necropsy to prove baby wasn't injured or neglected. That's standard with most breeders.

Personally, if it were me, as the pet owner, I'd get the necropsy done just to prove it wasn't anything I did. That would at least be some satisfaction. If you don't, you'd be buying another hedgehog anyways. Hard call though.

Retired from breeding

Rescue contact for both the Hedgehog Welfare Society and the IHA
Rescued over 70 (and counting) hedgehogs needing a new home

http://freewebs.com/thehedgieden/
Nancy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-14-2011, 05:14 PM   #10 (permalink)

Thanks for all the replies. It's hard to imagine how she could have hurt herself since we got her. Her cage is large 4ft x 2 ft, but there is nothing in it that she have fallen off of, I've been very careful to let her keep to her schedule while she acclimated to our house, so I was the only one had held her and that was primarily in the evening while I was lounging around and just let her crawl all over me to get used to me. The other thing, is the black stool happened from the time we got her. The breeder sent her home with a little hedgie sleeping bag and the next night I picked it up and noticed it inside of the sack, so as far as I can see she had it from the time we brought her home. She actually acted ok the first couple of days (other than the black tarry stool), got a little lethargic one day but perked back up the next day. It was the last 36 -48 hours that she just progressively got worse. In the meantime after that primary email I sent to the breeder about the stool, and in which she told me it was probably annointing due to the food coloring in the food (I was feeding her the breeder provided food until she was settled , then planned on switching her over slowly to blue buffalo- I do not like a lot cat foods with fillers and colorings). I had sent her another email about her starting to get lethargic, asked what I should do since she knew more than me and she emailed me back with several questions and asked me to get back to her "ASAP" with the answers, which I did.
During this time, (the last day before she died) I waited and checked my email several times and eventually sent her another one saying that I was really worried about her and that I was going to drive her back up to he (the breeder) so she can take her back and perhaps nurse her back to health. I put all my trust in the breeder, and because I am definitely a worrier I was (mistakenly) relying on her to lead me in the right direction. Never once had she told me to take her to the vet, which I should have done on my own anyway. I'm waiting to hear back from her now regarding the $150 necropsy. While I am confident that it was nothing I did, to pay $150 for a necropsy for a $175 refund just doesn't make sense to me. If she tells me that she will refund the entire $325 then I will go ahead with it, of even meets me halfway.
I'm just shocked about the lack of support and communication she has given me, especially considering that her claims of 24 hr lifetime support was one of the reasons I decided to go with her in the first place.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in