Help wobbly hedgie!!!!! - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Lilysmommy

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-02-2015, 02:21 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Help wobbly hedgie!!!!!

so I'm kinda freaking out at the moment. I notice this morning that sonic had not moved since the day before. He was still hidden under his blanket which is the same spot I had seen him earlier the afternoon before. I also notice that his food or water had not been touch when he usually runs to the food bowl cause he's a fatty. I nudged him a little and he puffed and hissed like usual but seemed a little slow at doing so. I picked him up and moved him over to his food but he still kept his head down when usually he's out sniffing whenever he is close to it. I put a few pieces down by his face and he took a few bites but didn't seem as interested as he usually is so I went ahead and pulled him out of the cage. He curled up and hissed and usual and was smelling my finger. I set him down on the bed and he sat there for a moment before kinda shuffling around like he was trying to turn. It seemed like his legs weren't working right. I picked him back up and looked at his legs thinking he might have hurt one but they looked fine and he was kicking all four out at me while he was on his back. When I set him back down in his cage he tried to get back to where his blanket is but was very wobbly and unsteady. Like he literally looked like a weeble wobble going back to the spot he was originally in and Hempstead curled back up. I put his water and food dish right next to him seeing as I had to leave because I was already late for school. He has a heater right next to his cage and the temp is usually around 72-73 degrees. I'm just hoping it's not WHS he would pause all the time while running in his wheel but nothing like this has ever happened before.
camoandlace is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-02-2015, 02:26 PM   #2 (permalink)
Super Moderator

WHS is much slower to set in. Sounds like a hibernation attempt. If you feel his stomach, it's probably a little bit cool. He needs to be warmed up on a heating pad set on low or against you. I'm guessing you're at school right now? Is there anyone at home you can call to check on him? If not, as soon as you get home, get him out to check on him and warm him up.

Once he's warmed up, you need to raise the temperature in his cage. Bump it up to 75 or so. It sounds like either 72-73 isn't warm enough for him, he caught a cool draft (so check the temperature in various parts of his cage), or he's not getting enough light (he should have 12-14 hours during the day, not just from daylight).
nikki likes this.

RIP my sweet Lily ~ 6/12/08 - 1/20/12
Lilysmommy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-02-2015, 02:45 PM   #3 (permalink)

You need a thermometer so you know the exact temperature in his cage.

Thermostat settings are more of a guideline, they are not exact. You may have to bump up the temperature settings.

RIP dearest Rana 4-19-15 --12-12-19, I will miss you forever

RIP my dear Nara 7/2/10---1/6/15. Mommy will always love you.
MomLady is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2015, 02:48 PM   #4 (permalink)

He dose have a thermometer in his cage
camoandlace is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in