Itchy from holding hedgie - allergic reaction or mites? - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-11-2011, 10:57 AM   #1 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to lmashbri6983 Send a message via MSN to lmashbri6983 Send a message via Yahoo to lmashbri6983
Unhappy Itchy from holding hedgie - allergic reaction or mites?

Hi Everyone, I've got a few questions relating to both hedgie's health and mine...

First off, ever since I got Layla from her previous owner she has had dry skin and has sometimes been pretty itchy. Before trying Revolution for mites, I did what others have suggested a few things: Aveeno oatmeal for bathtime, switched to liners, and flaxseed oil in her food. Her dryness and itchiness has improved.

Recently I started noticing a difference with myself and my skin's reaction to her quills. Yes, whenever the quills might poke me, it'd be a little sore / itchy at first. However these days all I have to do is pick her up and hold her for a minute or two, and I get pretty severe itchiness wherever she touched. I'll sometimes get bumps that look like tiny hives if I keep scratching. I've been using hydrocortisone to relieve some of it but I havent been able to figure out why I'm reacting so much more now than I used to be.

This leads me to a few questions that might or might not be related...
- could she have gotten mites and that's what is bothering my skin?
- if a hedgie does get mites, do the mites ever spread to the couch or anywhere the hedgie has been, kinda like fleas do? Can the mites also jump onto the owner and irritate them as well?
- if this isnt mites, could it be anything other than an allergic reaction? (I've tried bathing her & making sure she's all clean, but even then, holding her makes my hands itch)
- if all else fails, should I just result to having no bare skin whenever I hold her?

Gotta say this is so irritating, after having so many peaceful months and no problems with allergic reactions or whatever this is!! Geesh

lmashbri6983 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-11-2011, 12:45 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: Itchy from holding hedgie - allergic reaction or mites?

The only question I can answer is the one about mites bothering humans. We went through this with our guineapig and where assured by our vet that the mites that humans can sometimes get and the mites that animals get are not the same. So that should not be what is bothering you.

it does sound to me like an allergic reaction and often they get worse with time. But I am no expert in that area so hopefully someone else will answer.

My Sweeties

CritterHeaven is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-11-2011, 01:17 PM   #3 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to lmashbri6983 Send a message via MSN to lmashbri6983 Send a message via Yahoo to lmashbri6983

Thanks for your input, I hope you're right! I'd be very happy to find out that the mites that hedgies can get dont ever bother humans... that would be one question answered, and one to cross off my list of possible reasons for this!

Old 04-11-2011, 01:24 PM   #4 (permalink)
Master Breeders

There has been several threads on this forum about people becoming allergic to their hedgies months after getting them,hope i'm way off on this but it sounds like you have become allergic.
Old 04-11-2011, 01:28 PM   #5 (permalink)

Oh and I remembered what it is called when humans get mites if you want to google it. Mange.

My Sweeties

CritterHeaven is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-11-2011, 02:11 PM   #6 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to Puffers315

I'm allergic to nothing (er, feather filled pillows, I forgot about that one) but I do get this weird feeling from where their quills have touched me, can't say itchy or anything but some sort of minor reaction.
Old 04-11-2011, 07:06 PM   #7 (permalink)

My hands often burn/itch if I get pricked by Kashi's quills.

The only thing that seems to alleviate the discomfort is giving him baths (no more than once every 2 weeks, though, since I don't want his skin to become dry).

I'm pretty sure I'm allergic (I've started developing hives if I don't bathe him enough). It's nothing that I can't handle though ^_^ I'm sure you could find a way to get around it
Old 04-11-2011, 10:30 PM   #8 (permalink)

most people do it only last for a minute with me tho maybe its their slavia cause mine bit me once and it raised a lot

vbno1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-12-2011, 10:06 AM   #9 (permalink)

I've noticed with a lot of animals, allergies develop over the time of having them. For instance, when I had rats I was not allergic at all. Over the course of a year however I developed a skin allergy to them.

I know handling with gloves is not ideal. But if the gloves smell like you, your hedgie will still know it's you and you won't itch as much. It does unfortunately sound like an allergy :/

Food list for those interested.
leaveittoweaver is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-13-2011, 08:57 AM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaelikestaquitos
My hands often burn/itch if I get pricked by Kashi's quills.

The only thing that seems to alleviate the discomfort is giving him baths (no more than once every 2 weeks, though, since I don't want his skin to become dry).

I'm pretty sure I'm allergic (I've started developing hives if I don't bathe him enough). It's nothing that I can't handle though ^_^ I'm sure you could find a way to get around it
Yep, my hands and forearms burn/itch once I hold Layla, and it's more severe if she pokes me with her quills. Unfortunately giving her a bath doesnt make a difference in my reaction. I've also noticed the hives whether or not she's just been bathed. That being said... looks like I have a hedgie allergy!

Good idea with the gloves, although I dont want to think about not touching her and holding her with my bare hands. I think what I'll do for the next few weeks is make sure that the only bare skin showing is my hands (which means no holding her with a T shirt on for a while... ), and then try to put her down if she starts squirming, since I get a much more severe reaction when her quills actually poke me, as opposed to them just brushing against me.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in