Need Advice & How to give meds orally? - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-28-2015, 01:39 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Need Advice & How to give meds orally?

Last week my hedgie was under the liner underneath the pan. The liner is normal but under the pan is a different place. No big deal. I woke up at 4 and she hasn't moved or eaten (she usually eats right away). I picked her up put her in the cuddle cup and sat with her. She was staying in a ball only sticking her head out a few times. I woke up at 10 and she ate most of her food (a good sign). Then I gave her a little more and she just came out and ate much of it.

She seemed fine the past few days. She was running and eating. The past 2 days she went back to that same spot and hasn't eaten or moved... I took her to the vet today. She examined her body and all was good. She gave her water transdermally in case she was dehydrated and gave me "sulfatrim" to knock out a possible infection.

I have to give it orally via a syringe 2 times a day for a week. This seems like it will be difficult. Any ideas? Do you guys think it's some type of infection or something else? The temp, food, water, etc have remained constant. I haven't changed anything.
thewarning is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-28-2015, 06:55 PM   #2 (permalink)
Super Moderator

It can be hard to figure out what's going on if they don't give us many clues, unfortunately. Hopefully the antibiotics will help, and if they don't, you may have to pay for a blood test or see what else the vet has in mind that could help figure out what's going on.

Here's our sticky on giving meds & syringe-feeding - https://www.hedgehogcentral.com/forum...ng-sticky.html If she's not eating, you're also going to have to syringe-feed her. Hedgehogs shouldn't go more than a day or two without eating as it gets dangerous for them very quickly. And antibiotics can sometimes cause an upset stomach, which can make them even less likely to start eating on their own again without help from you.

RIP my sweet Lily ~ 6/12/08 - 1/20/12
Lilysmommy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in