Losing quills again (picture); mites or fungal? - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-06-2011, 09:55 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Losing quills again (picture); mites or fungal?

Hi guys, I need help with a quill problem, Beck is trying to go bald on me again

The problem started in late February when he started furosemide and enalapril for his heart, but he had a really bad dehydration reaction to the furosemide, including really dry skin. He's been taken off the furosemide for a month now, but the dryness hasn't resolved, despite flax baths and starting HealX Booster (similar to Sunshine Factor).

Then a few quills started coming off and he was itchy, so I immediately got Revolution. He'll be getting his second treatment (every 2 weeks for 6 weeks) this Friday, but the quill loss is getting worse, and some of the skin over his rump is quite scabby and irritated looking. The quills that have scabs around them pop right off with you agitate the scabs or skin flakes at all, and they come off with a chunk of scab and skin. I took a few pictures (sorry, I know it's a bit gross).

Does it look like mite damage that just needs to work its way out as he sheds the damaged quills, or does it look more like a fungal problem? Thanks for any help!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1210.jpg (46.1 KB, 23 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1209.jpg (46.9 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1207.jpg (83.0 KB, 26 views)

Old 04-06-2011, 10:01 AM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: Losing quills again (picture); mites or fungal?

Snarf's quills often looked like that and he had no mites or parasites or fungal infections.

Have you tried SunshineFactor?

Have you checked Beck's food for anything he might be sensitive to. For Snarf, I'm thinking it was the salmon oil.

Snarf had been losing 40+ quills daily, after a month off salmon oil and on SF, he lost 8 quills last night. And his skin looks WAY better.
Old 04-06-2011, 10:07 AM   #3 (permalink)

He's getting HealX Booster, which is essentially the same thing

He's getting the same foods he's been getting for the last year and a half-- Natural Balance green pea & duck, and Wellness Indoor. I'm almost to my rebuy point, and I think I might switch out the Wellness for Buffalo Blue Spa since my local petstore just got it in for the first time.

The only things that are "new" for him to be allergic are the Booster, or the enalapril heart medicine he's on. :s

Old 04-06-2011, 10:18 AM   #4 (permalink)

Sorry...I will be of no help with the meds and any possible reactions. I did a quick Google on it but found nothing about dry skin, eyes, hair loss...but that doesn't mean it isn't the culprit.

Can you add canned food to his diet? To me moist food = moist skin...that's the one other change I made to Snarfer's diet (that and adding lots of veggies). I am thinking broaden his diet a bit...just in case...it's a relatively easy fix and one you can maintain without harm??
Old 04-06-2011, 01:20 PM   #5 (permalink)

I could try the wet food, although it's a bit tricky. This may sound like a bad reason not to feed we food, but he lives in very close quarters with me and three other students in a residence where he isn't even supposed to be in the first place. And I have yet to find a wet food that doesn't stink to the high heavens when it goes in and when it comes out lol. And of course, it's winter and I can't even crack a window. It gets pretty potent, especially when the cage is at the foot of my desk and bed lol. I had him on wet food for a week when he went off eating a few weeks ago, and the stench almost killed us all ><
Old 04-06-2011, 03:10 PM   #6 (permalink)

You're right: wet food reeks...I am lucky Snarf's cage is in an open space...how 'bout babyfood? It's not nearly as reeky(?) My vet said to use both catfood and babyfood...maybe...?

Quote:
Originally Posted by emeko
I could try the wet food, although it's a bit tricky. This may sound like a bad reason not to feed we food, but he lives in very close quarters with me and three other students in a residence where he isn't even supposed to be in the first place. And I have yet to find a wet food that doesn't stink to the high heavens when it goes in and when it comes out lol. And of course, it's winter and I can't even crack a window. It gets pretty potent, especially when the cage is at the foot of my desk and bed lol. I had him on wet food for a week when he went off eating a few weeks ago, and the stench almost killed us all ><
Old 04-25-2011, 09:28 AM   #7 (permalink)

I give Quillen a mix of baby food instead of wet cat food. I use 1/2 chicken or turkey and 1/2 squash or sweet potatoes. He loves it. I also mix in flax oil, but he still has dry skin so I just got some Sunshine Factor to try.

Good luck.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in