Think I hurt hedgie's mouth - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-04-2011, 06:07 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Think I hurt hedgie's mouth

Have 2nd old hedgehog with mite infestation. Vet gave ivermectin injection, Revolution, and oral antibiotics. He wasn't cooperative getting antibiotics, so I tried to slide syringe in side of mouth, like I have done for other pets. He seemed to swallow most.

He has been crabby (normal) and extremely active all day (not normal). I checked him a little while and there seems to be pink "tissue/flesh" hanging from side of mouth. It's very small, maybe 1/2 grain of rice. Jaw, teeth look fine. Can't tell if part of tongue or otherwise. Not bloody now, and don't know if pink next to his mouth is from antibiotics or blood. Could I have cut him or damaged his tongue?

Of course, vet closed until tomorrow. Are their mouths that terribly tender? He is moving his tongue, but too quick for me to see it. Doesn't really even seem to be in pain, though he has never had an injury, so don't have frame of reference.

Thanks for help.
owenhedgehog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-04-2011, 06:23 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: Think I hurt hedgie's mouth

I don't understand why he is on antibiotics for a mites infestation. He also never should have be injected with the Ivermectin, it has killed hedgehogs before and is very dangerous. But good you came here so now you know not to use Ivermectin again

Revolution is the only safe medication to use for mites on hedgehogs. .01cc or a couple of drops on the back of the should blades every 2 weeks for 3 doses (6 weeks in total for complete treatment).

As for the piece of flesh/skin hanging down from his mouth, do you have a photo we could see?

They do have tender skin in the mouth region, so maybe just a slight damage from the syringe episode.

His behavior of been up all day doesnt sound right either.

Breeding first and foremost for Health & Temperament
http://www.hedgehoggrove.com
Up to date News and Photos:
http://www.facebook.com/Hedgehog.Grove

http://www.hhgrescue.com
Facebook Page: http://www.facebook.com/HedgehogGroveRescue
Hedgehog Grove is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-04-2011, 06:25 PM   #3 (permalink)

Is there a vet open today?

Old 04-04-2011, 07:00 PM   #4 (permalink)

Trying to upload photo, will continue to attempt.

It definitely is his tongue. I saw a post about tongue injuries advising to keep tongue moist. He eagerly drank from syringe and was licking water off my finger. There is obvious injury and swelling. He fusses when I pick him up, but doesn't try to get away. It doesn't seem to hurt him, but is not interested in his super worms or softened kibble. Will try baby food (?)

His meds - saw lots of conflicting info on ivermection, saw possibility of death too late. He was given antibiotics because he had one area he had scratched that looked infected.

Emergency vet only open on weekends (small town).
Old 04-04-2011, 07:05 PM   #5 (permalink)

This is hopefully off-topic but just in case: Have you been cutting the heads off the superworms? The creepy little things bite. Even after being chomped on. I'm just thinking that's the last thing you need right now.
Old 04-04-2011, 07:14 PM   #6 (permalink)

Didn't know that about the super worms. They have never been a problem. Will keep a look out for that and take extra caution.
Old 04-04-2011, 10:02 PM   #7 (permalink)

Owen has finally gone to sleep. He was awake for at least eight hours! He walked around and around and kept sticking his nose high in the air sniffing. Will visit vet tomorrow depending on how he looks.
Old 04-05-2011, 04:56 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissC
This is hopefully off-topic but just in case: Have you been cutting the heads off the superworms? The creepy little things bite. Even after being chomped on. I'm just thinking that's the last thing you need right now.
The superworm may have caused the issue and not the syringe. Superworms will bit the mouth & throat of the animal when being eaten, causing swelling and possible infections. When feeding, be sure to cut their heads off (or just feed regular mealworms)
silvercat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-06-2011, 01:59 AM   #9 (permalink)

Did you end up seeing the vet?

How's the little guy doing?
Old 04-06-2011, 11:32 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnufflePuff
Did you end up seeing the vet?

How's the little guy doing?
I did not take him to the vet. In the morning his mouth looked "better", swelling was down considerably. He was drinking water offered by syringe and licking his antibiotics from syringe. I can see that one side of his tongue is white, with a bit of tissue hanging off. He didn't flinch when I would touch that tissue, so I sterilized a tiny pair of scissors and clipped it off.

Offered softened and regular kibble, but no interest. He is not eating well. I think he ate some scrambled egg last night. (He is quite annoyed with me, so I can't watch him do anything. He just fussed at me.). I bathed him in aveeno oatmeal tonight and he didn't poop in water at all. This worries me a lot. I have switched his bedding to fabric, so I can look for poop in his cage (instead of shavings). I was able to get a little bit of Stage 1 chicken in him, though he fussed and wiggled the whole time.

Perhaps it was a super worm that hurt him. Never have been bitten by one. We buy them for our bearded dragon too so I handle them a lot (neighborhood children love to see dragon fed by hand). Won't offer
anymore.

I have to say that this series of incidents has been good for my level of comfort and familiarity with him. He was my oldest daughter's pet. He tolerated her only. When we began to foster an abnormally friendly rabbit, her attention went elsewhere. Youngest child took over care and she didn't know what to look for really, when she was even able to handle him. I have handled him a lot in the last couple of days and am not intimidated by attempts to stab me and find that he will cooperate to an extent with gentle pressure. So, while I hate that he is going through this, I hope it only gets better from here (if he ever forgives me).

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in