A few questions on whats normal - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-17-2015, 05:36 PM   #1 (permalink)
jvl

Default A few questions on whats normal

Hiya. Hedgehog first timer here and despite reading and reading for months in advance theres so much conflicting info out there, I just wondered if people with experience would mind answering a few questions on whats normal.

First off, we live in an odd house where its hard to control temperature in the house, let alone his vivarium. It has air holes, and i stuck a thermometer to the side of the viv. I check it about every hour and keep it between 22 and 24 (UK!) as strictly as I can. I use a space heater for short bursts to bring the temp back up if I see it cooling from 22.

Our house gets very very hot on hot days, and bloody freezing on cold ones. But when we put our heating on it ends up very hot, have to open a window to cool down.. you see the struggle. I DID have a heat mat with a themostat in the viv but it ended up doing more harm than good. Temp was constantly too high no matter what I did.

Anyway.. in all of this he's been as far as I can tell a healthy, happy hedgehog. He has a good varied diet, I alternate between dried bugs, fresh cooked meat and veggies/fruit every other night. He eats a LOT of kibble, very fond of it. Drinks well after each meal and tends to use his wheel to 'go' in the evening and then will really set to it for a couple of hours running around 4am.

But theres still a few things that concern me.

1. He flops. Every now and then he'll just flop down on to his belly and lie there. He seems quite alert. If I move he'll lift his head to notice me. But I'm absolutely paranoid about over heating/hibernating and if this is a sign? or if hes just.. chilling. Is that normal? It was pretty hot in our house tonight as I had him out in the dining room. So hard to tell.

Pic of him 'chilling' https://pbs.twimg.com/media/B7lYHo7CYAABi2E.jpg:large

And

http://photos-b.ak.instagram.com/hph...56027179_n.jpg

2. I think he might be a little bit constipated, he seems to strain a lot to go, any recommendations on what to use to ease him up a bit? Hes still GOING.. just seems like its a bit of a strain.

3. He's currently quilling (He's approaching 3 months old) and his moods pretty good, I've been giving him oatmeal baths. He still seems very very itchy though, anything else I can do for him?

4. We had a struggle finding the right wheel/litter combo, finally settled on a rubber matted beer serving tray (dont laugh, he couldn't make it over the edges of any cat litters I could find!) and high quality kitchen towel under the wheel on the tray. BUT.. he has a tendency to rip up bits of kitchen towel and add them to his bed. Thats okay?

Sorry for the long winded post and PROBABLY stupid questions. But I'm an over thinking worrier. I'm absolutely paranoid about the temperature, losing sleep paranoid. I should probably flop and chill too haha. Thanks to anyone that takes a minute to tackle this!
jvl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-17-2015, 05:55 PM   #2 (permalink)
jvl

An update, as of right now hes flopped inside his viv. He's never done that before.. I really think hes too hot.. even though it says the temp in there is 22. How do I cool him down?
Old 01-17-2015, 06:12 PM   #3 (permalink)

Hi there!

Do you have a thermostat attached to the space heater? that will definitely help to keep the temp constant. Also, have you looked into getting a CHE setup? I have one of those and its awesome. Takes a lot of the stress out of the heating situation.

Heating pads are not appropriate for hedgies so I'm very glad you stopped using yours.

1) most hedgies flop because they are hot. my hedgie does it every once in a while. its just a way to spread out and cool themselves off. I've also read that hedgies flop when they feel relaxed. if your thermometer says its 22 degrees then i don't think its the heat. unless your thermometer is wrong. i would suggest getting another one just to make sure

2) dry insects can cause constipation or even impaction. it happened to my hedgie when i was feeding dry insects. I immediately switched to live and her constipation improved.
Can you tell how much he is drinking from the water level? You can try feeding a little bit of pure pumpkin puree to your hedgie. that usually helps everything pass through easier.

3) another thing you can do to relieve dry skin is add a few drops of oil to his skin. olive oil or flax seed oil will work fine. just push your hedgie's quills aside and apply a few drops of oil directly to the skin in a few different areas. this will allow the oil to be absorbed without creating an oily mess. you can also add a few drops of oil to his food. but make sure he is willing to eat it because some hedgies will refuse to eat their kibbleif the oil is on it.

4) what wheel do you use? most people just put a tray with low sides under the wheel and use paper towels as litter. I've also heard that Yesterdays News litter works pretty well.
Kitchen towels may be a little dangerous (if its the kind I'm thinking of). Any loops or loose threads on the towel has a potential of wrapping around your hedgie. there have been cases where threads have wrapped around a hedgies limb and it had to be amputated. fleece, cotton, or flannel are the safest materials to use in a cage (just make sure there aren't any loose treads.

you're question are definitly not stupid! they are very valid questions! good luck with your new hedgie!

sc2001 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2015, 06:23 PM   #4 (permalink)
jvl

Hi! Thanks for the reply. Unless I was doing it wrong, the heater I had before ended up causing more problems than it solved, when our house got hot it didn't change and it doubled up the heat, luckily I had it running before I even put him in there and saw this. So just nixed the thing.

Last night it was really cold, the temp went down to 20, so I put a snuggle sack in with him and heated the room more, brought it back up. Today hes just been flopping all around. is he too hot? too cold? I just opened a window and cooled the room a bit and hes up and about now. Man this is hard!

2. Gotcha on the bugs, I'll cut them down. Get some pumpkin puree, thankyou. He seems to drink well. He has a dish for it and I fill it full each day and a good amounts gone by morning, my instinct tells me THATS normal at least.

3. I'll try that, wasn't sure if olive oil was an old wives tale or not.

4. Oh by kitchen towel I mean paper towel haha. I'm using that Plenty/Bounty in large strong sheets. No thread there. he has nice padded fleece liners for the rest of his vivarium and fleece bits for bedding.

Thankyou again, this heat thing is just a nightmare in this darn house.
Old 01-17-2015, 06:42 PM   #5 (permalink)

I have a hedgie who is really sensitive to heat and now throws up if she gets too hot. Usually with her, I can tell if it's just relaxing or overheating by her level of persistance. If you go to touch your hedgie or even pick it up for a second and it immediately drops again right where it is without any interest in getting comfortable/sniffing/digging like usual, it's probably overheated. Especially if it is splatted out for long periods of time, even with its eyes open. Usually my hedgie will have her front and back legs stretched out when she's too hot.

Do you still have a thermostat in the viv? If it's glass it might be locking in the heat when the house is warm, and keeping the temperature higher even when the house cools down. Your lower temperature seems pretty cool, that's why I'm wondering.

Last edited by TikkiLink; 01-17-2015 at 06:47 PM.
TikkiLink is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-17-2015, 07:00 PM   #6 (permalink)

^I meant to ask if you have a thermometer in the viv, not a thermostat.
TikkiLink is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-17-2015, 08:48 PM   #7 (permalink)
jvl

Do have a thermometer inside, but I've just ordered a better digital one that my mother uses for her snakes because I'm not entirely sure it's accurate.

He's not flopping for a LONG time, just like.. 5 minutes or so, and if I go to interact with him he quickly moves. But it's just so weird to see, he's been an absolute creature of clockwork habit since I had him and this is totally 'new'. I'm hoping he's just relaxing, but hes doing it in such odd places.

Also, his belly isn't cool, he feels warm but not hot. His thermometer is saying 22 edging on 23.

Could it be something else entirely? As I said earlier he seemed to be struggling a bit to poop - it happened, but it seemed like work. He also went on his wheel a few minutes ago (to answer an earlier question, he has a bucket wheel made by Hogwheels here in the UK, hes loved it avidly). Maybe its just a new behavior hes discovered. I wish there was some way they could tell us.
Old 01-17-2015, 10:29 PM   #8 (permalink)

He may have an upset tummy causing him to splat?? I'm just guessing though. He may not be feeling his best cause of the constipation. Try to cure the constipation and see if the splatting stops.

I'm not quite sure what it is

sc2001 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-18-2015, 12:54 PM   #9 (permalink)
jvl

Yeah I'm fairly sure hes constipated, the poor little love. He was struggling last night. I got him some squash and sweet potato, cooking that up now to mash, and some pumpkin baby food. Give him a little mix when he wakes up, hopefully it'll help along with a warm bath. Thanks for all the feedback, definitely helped identify the problem. I'll let you know how he does.
Old 01-18-2015, 01:06 PM   #10 (permalink)

Also, if everything else is solved and he still seems to hot, he may just be over exerting himself and is splatting to cool down. I give my guys a small tile from home depot to use if they get to hot. Try giving him one and see if he uses it. I paid like 1.50$ for mine.
DesireeM81 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in