bathing a hedgehog - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-01-2011, 11:59 PM   #1 (permalink)

Unhappy bathing a hedgehog

Hi. I have been reading a book on hedgehogs and was wondering about the different types of baths you can give. would chinchilla dust work for a hedgehog? or would the dust bother its eyes?
Am I stuck with using water and shampoo to bath my hedgehog? I just got him and he has not been bathed before.

thank you for the advice
ghartrid is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-02-2011, 12:01 AM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: bathing a hedgehog

dust = bad

shampoo = bad

most of us use Aveeno Baby Wash, unscented. If you search 'bath' or 'bathing' on the forum, you will find lots of info.
Old 04-21-2011, 02:16 AM   #3 (permalink)

Default Re: bathing a hedgehog

***this a repost from a reply that I recently posted, but sometimes it can be daunting to search and sift through a lot of posts so I figured I would just copy and paste this. Hope this helps!!!**

Hello! I was searching online for a while about bathing in the past and here is some helpful info:

This video link below is the best representation and SAFEST video that I've seen. I've had my hedgie now for 8 months and this bathing routine works the best. Instead of the sink, I use a smaller sterilite bin (18qt)

Here is a link for a video of bathing. But below are steps that I do.
http://youtu.be/x3w3njmCQyA

1. take hedgie out of cage and put him/her on the couch or on your lap to wake him/her up
2. Put hedgie in safe waiting place that is outside of cage while you prepare the bath
3. You will need a sink or container, warm water, toothbrush (new and clean), soap (I use Aveeno baby oatmeal soap, but there are other kinds you can use), a cup of warm water, and a clean blanket to wrap up hedgie after.
4. prepare all these things! When you fill sink/container with warm to the touch water (think lukewarm bath water) , you can put a dish towel down to prevent your hedgie from sliding around.
5. carefully put your hedgie in the water, being careful not to dunk its face in the water.
6. your hedgie will most likely unroll and explore a bit. use about 1/2 of the water in your cup to wet the hedgie a bit. Then use toothbrush and put a bit of soap on it (the same amount you would use to brush your teeth ) and gently brush through the quills.
7. Make sure to get all sides and back, but don't go too close the ears and beyond. always stroke down
8. Most likely your hedgie is walking around while you do this. Hehe. Gently use the rest of the water in the cup to rinse the soap off the hedgie. (my hedgie HATES this part so she tries to walk away while i'm doing this. I follow her around with the cup)
9. Take hedgie out and wrap in dry fleece blanket and cuddle till dry.
10. I usually take this time to trim nails CAREFULLY. Here's another video link about that.
http://youtu.be/TvKDiSoJIbI or http://youtu.be/P0YCVm8ahTI
11. I also take this time to sometimes put a tiny bit of lotion on hedgie's ears. I only do this at bath time. And bath time is about 1-2 times per month to make sure she doesn't get dry skin. My hedgie gets just plain foot baths 1-2 times per week, it varies due to the severity of her poop boots.

Hope this was helpful!!!! Have a great week!
kyungmal is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in