Quick Question About skin - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-26-2011, 02:45 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Quick Question About skin

So despite his best protests, I've been taking little huffy boy out for a cuddle everyday. And i've noticed that when he raises his quills you can see in between them to the skin underneath. I tried to get a picture to show but none of them were any good.

What exactly is the skin supposed to look like? I'm not sure whats normal, but his looks kind of bad. Its pinkish, with lots of dirty gray looking flakes in it. I had him out on some fleece that was a dark color and when i looked at the fleece after it had lots of little dandruff like specks on it.
Is it dry? does he need baths and flax seed oil? I've read before that is the cure for dry skin...
I'm really hoping this is normal and not bad because he isn't very used to me yet and giving him a bath will be something of an Olympic challenge...
11swedishfish is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-26-2011, 02:52 PM   #2 (permalink)

Send a message via MSN to pooka dotted
Default Re: Quick Question About skin

Actually baths tend to Dry out hedgie skin depending on what is in the bath. You also shouldn't bathe them too often regardless. Putting some flax seed oil on his skin should clear it up if it's not horrendously bad. My Napoleon had some dry skin and now every three weeks or so I'll put some flax seed oil on her body, but I usually always put a few drops in her food and that cleared everything up. Hedgehogs are prone to dry skin, so don't be alarmed. Just give him the flax seed and wait for a few days to let it soak down into his skin. If it doesn't help it might be really bad skin in which case i'd get some sunshine factor. But if he's itching and there's some quill loss he probably has mites and needs to be taken to the vet to get a skin scraping and some revolution as a preventative. (Not all skin scrapings can come up positive for mites, even if the hedgie does have them it isn't a solid bet)
Old 03-26-2011, 02:57 PM   #3 (permalink)

hmm...I read somewhere about a bath with some kind of shampoo that would help with dry skin.

I'm pretty sure it isn't mites. I've found one quill, and I've never once seen him itch. He was on pine bedding though so I'm on the look out.
11swedishfish is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2011, 05:07 PM   #4 (permalink)
PJM
Rescue

You can use Aveno unscented oatmeal baby wash. Or just put some oatmeal in the bath.
Don't use baby shampoo, it dries the skin out.

PJM is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in