Cutting the quick - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-22-2011, 09:03 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Cutting the quick

So, I took Liam out earlier and was letting him snuggle in his hedgie bag while I changed his liners and washed all his cage stuff. After the clean cage was set up, I took him out for some snuggle time. He was being extra good and so calm, and so I decided to trim his nails. He was SO good, I didn't even have to burrito him or anything, just grabbed a foot and went to work.

But then, I cut the quick. Like, really bad.

*sigh*

I'm trying not to freak because I know this happens to everyone, but I feel so terrible. His foot seemed like it was bleeding a LOT - I held it in a paper towel for a little while to stauch the blood, and it stopped eventually. But the poor little guy got blood all over his foot and leg. Is there anything else I should do? Antibiotic ointment?

Actually, I'm 150% sure I'm more freaked out than he is. I didn't even notice that I did cut it for a few seconds because Liam didn't even make one little huff. But still. Poor little bugger.

I guess I just need a little hedgie-reassurance right now, lest I stay up all night checking his foot every hour!

cylaura is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-22-2011, 09:16 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: Cutting the quick

I have cut the quick in one of Pete's nails 3 times so far. Her nails are reay hard to cut, the firsl time it happened was the first night she was here. I had to cut her nails because they were very long and curling under her feet. I tried just to trim a little bit but it bled a lot! I was very shocked by the amount of blood.

Next time (because it might happen again) you can dip his foot in flour or cornstarch. I keep an empty pill container with cornstarch with the hedgie nail clipper, that way is handy if I need it.

I never put anything on Pete's nail and she is always fine. I just check before I go to bed and next morning to see if it looks ok.

ETA: dipping the foot in cornstarch helps stop the bleeding.
Old 03-22-2011, 09:51 PM   #3 (permalink)

My vet said to do exactly what susana said. And she also said verrry slowly to me: "Snarf...will ...barely...feel...it...do not worry...and it may bleed a lot. No hedgie has ever bled to death from cutting his quick."

I cut Snarf's while he was in the tub...you wanna talk blood??!! Try it in a bath...little bloody footrpints everywhere...it was awful...I was in the tub with Snarf and just called to Jamie to bring the cornstarch. I have to admit - Snarf's 'zero' reaction made me freak a lot less.

Unless it looks worse later tonight or continues bleeding, you have nothing to worry about. I wouldn't bother putting anything on it unless it will make YOU feel better.

Old 03-22-2011, 10:06 PM   #4 (permalink)

The vet can also give you some stuff that helps staunch the bleeding. I cannot recall the name of it (though I know somoene else on here posted it). I got it a few months ago after they showed me how to cut our gunea pigs nails. Works on dogs too (oooops).

My Sweeties

CritterHeaven is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-22-2011, 10:09 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CritterHeaven
The vet can also give you some stuff that helps staunch the bleeding. I cannot recall the name of it (though I know somoene else on here posted it). I got it a few months ago after they showed me how to cut our gunea pigs nails. Works on dogs too (oooops).
It's called styptic and it apparently stings when you apply it, so the cure may be worse than the initial injury.
Old 03-22-2011, 10:11 PM   #6 (permalink)

Really? My GP did not seem to mind nor my dog but I will keep that in mind. Cornstarch it is.

My Sweeties

CritterHeaven is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-22-2011, 10:12 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Really? My GP did not seem to mind nor my dog but I will keep that in mind. Cornstarch it is.
It would be a shame if they didn't feel the cut but did feel the repair, huh?
Old 03-22-2011, 10:40 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissC
Quote:
It's called styptic and it apparently stings when you apply it, so the cure may be worse than the initial injury.
I do know styptic (I'm [almost] an EMT) and it does kind of sting. Works like a charm though!

After it happened and I was wiping him up, my roommate was like 'we can put some alcohol on it?' and I was like 'get that away from my hedgie you madman!'. I can barely stand it when someone puts alcohol on MY cuts. '

I just checked on him again and he seems fine. So... an end to the worrying... for tonight.

cylaura is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in