Boy Hedgies & Litter - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-21-2011, 10:35 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Boy Hedgies & Litter

So. Our hedgie is litter trained. He has been from the day we got his CSW. Well tonight we took him out and my bf noticed Matheson had something dark in his boy parts. Somehow litter had gotten in there. This has never happened before. Is it avoidable? Does it happen often? We got it all out but it made me really upset that it even happened
gypsypanther is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-21-2011, 10:39 PM   #2 (permalink)

Send a message via MSN to pooka dotted
Default Re: Boy Hedgies & Litter

I would recommend paper towels. bedding sucks in boy parts and can cause uti's
Old 03-21-2011, 11:16 PM   #3 (permalink)

I use papertowels for the litter too. It helps out a lot with my boy too because he likes to drag himself sometimes which would make it easy for anything else to get stuck. I use 3 or 4 folded and layered. Bounty truly is the "quicker picker upper" because I'm amazed at how much hedgie pee it absorbs....gross but true lol I change everyday and it keeps everything nice and fresh longer.

Old 03-22-2011, 12:36 AM   #4 (permalink)

When it comes to litter, it is generally agreed that there should be no clay; no clumping; no sand; no dusty stuff for exactly the reason you mentioned: particles get stuck in gentle areas.

Paper towels are the easiest if your guy doesn't care about digging. Snarf likes to root around, so I use Yesterday's News litter. Big pellets so safe, easy to clean and no stink/dust/mess.
Old 03-22-2011, 01:48 PM   #5 (permalink)

I'm using Yesterday's News too, but the other day I found a bunch of metallic flakes in mine. I picked them out and they felt like foil that had been pressed together. So I guess I'll have to go through it every time I change the litter box. Spikey doesn't seem to enjoy digging in it as much as he liked clay litter, but it's true that he doesn't get anything stuck in his boy parts now either.

I tried paper towels before but they do nothing for odor. My hedgie cage is next to the couch and Spikey gets up and takes a long, leisurely potty every night while my husband is watching TV...my husband was complaining that the smell was worse than baby diapers so I had to switch to litter.
Judi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in