Hedgehog health - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

Like Tree5Likes
  • 3 Post By sc2001
  • 2 Post By Lilysmommy

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-22-2014, 11:31 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Hedgehog health

I got a female hedgehog 3 weeks ago. I've put her in a good size cage with paper bedding, water in a shallow bowl, and food in one as well. She has a litter pan that she uses and a hutch that she sleeps in. I was having to fill the food and water bowls up almost everyday as she has been eating the dry cat food and drinking the water I give her up until about 3 days ago. Now I only have to fill the bowls up about every two or three days. What would cause her to do this? Also, I've tried holding her and letting her out to roam around (under close supervision), but she never uncurls to roam around. She'll just lay there in a ball for what has been up to 30 minutes. At first I thought she just needed time to get used to her new surroundings but 3 weeks seems like an awfully long time to take to get used to a place. On top of that I've put a ball in her cage for her to play with (a wheel is in the mail) and she doesn't play with it, she just comes out to eat, drink, use the bathroom and then goes back to her bed. Does anyone know what I could do to get her to be more friendly?
JacobDR is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-22-2014, 11:39 PM   #2 (permalink)

Whats the temperature inside the cage? Does the cage have any kind of heating?
Old 12-22-2014, 11:52 PM   #3 (permalink)

Hedgehogs need fresh food and water every day, that might be why she's not eating.

Three weeks is not a very long time to have the hedgie bond to you, 6 months is more like it. She is being a typical hedgehog. Do a search for the thread on Behavior Expectations.

When you get her out to bond, try using a bonding bag aka snuggle sack or just a piece of fleece under her and one on top. They need to feel protected and they feel too vulnerable when they are out in the open. Make sure the lights are dimmed and there's no loud sounds.

Most hedgies don't really play with toys, they run on their wheels, some crawl thru tunnels, some will play with toilet paper tubes. She's got to feel more safe before she lets her guard down to play.
MomLady is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2014, 11:52 PM   #4 (permalink)

Not eating and drinking as much could be because of a number of reasons. Has anything changed with her living space? Has the food changed at all? Any new smells and noises? What's the temp in cage cage?

As far as changing food and water, it should be changed every day. Kibble can get stale if left out and water can grow bacteria. To see how much she is actually eating, count her kibble. Count the kibble you put in the food bowl at night and then count it again in the morning.

A lot of hedgies have absolutely no interest in toys. My hedgie doesn't play with anything besides toilet paper roles. I've tried cat balls, stuffed animals, all kinds of things. You just have to find the right toy with your hedgie.

sc2001 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-23-2014, 05:17 PM   #5 (permalink)

Thanks everyone for your replies. The temperature in the cage is around 69 during the day and 67 at night. There's not been any changes in the environment since I got her either. I put her in a quiet place to try to keep her from being scared.by noises in other parts of the house and have, from what I've seen, worked so far.
JacobDR is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-23-2014, 05:26 PM   #6 (permalink)

The temperature in the cage is pretty low. Hedgehogs can hibernate in those temperatures. the cage needs to be around 75 degrees F (plus or minus a few degrees), my hedgie is kept at 74-76 F. She is most active in those temperatures

sc2001 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-23-2014, 05:42 PM   #7 (permalink)
Super Moderator

You need to get the temperature up ASAP. Turn the house temperature up, put her in the warmest room, and/or get a space heater at a store like Walmart if you don't have one to get her warm for now. For longer term heating, it would be best to get a ceramic heat emitter set up. You'll need a heat lamp that's rated safe for CHE bulbs (usually have to be bought at a pet store - ceramic socket, & it'll say on the box that it's CHE-safe), a CHE bulb that emits heat only, no light (they're like a flat disc, either white or black), a thermostat (turns the lamp on/off as needed to keep a steady temperature), and a thermometer if you don't already have one so you can keep track of the temperature in her cage specifically (not just the whole room).

You can usually find all of that at pet stores such as Petco and Petsmart, or reptile/exotic specialty stores. You can also find them online, which is usually cheaper (but you'll have to make sure you can keep her warm by other means until they're delivered). Amazon has all of those things, here's what's often used by a lot of people:
Amazon.com : Zoo Med Ceramic Infrared Heat Emitter 100 Watts : Aquarium Heaters : Pet Supplies Amazon.com : Zoo Med Ceramic Infrared Heat Emitter 100 Watts : Aquarium Heaters : Pet Supplies
Amazon.com : Zilla 11939 Temperature Controller, 1000-Watt : Reptile Thermostat : Pet Supplies Amazon.com : Zilla 11939 Temperature Controller, 1000-Watt : Reptile Thermostat : Pet Supplies
Amazon.com : Fluker's 10" Repta Clamp Lamp with Switch : Reptile Clamp Lamp : Pet Supplies Amazon.com : Fluker's 10" Repta Clamp Lamp with Switch : Reptile Clamp Lamp : Pet Supplies

You'll want to make sure you have a 10" lamp (spreads heat out more efficiently). I prefer the 1000-watt thermostat because there's 3 outlets in case you end up needing two lamps (usually for larger cages). 100-watt CHE bulbs usually work for most people, but if your cage is very open and/or the room is cold, 150 watts might work better. If the cage is large, it's best to go with two 100-watt lamps so the cage is heated evenly.
nikki and MomLady like this.

RIP my sweet Lily ~ 6/12/08 - 1/20/12
Lilysmommy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
drinking, eating, food, sleeping

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in