Bleeding and What to Look For? - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-17-2011, 04:12 AM   #1 (permalink)

Unhappy Bleeding and What to Look For?

Had a rather unpleasant shock this evening when I went to put Norman back in his pen around 10:00 pm... Unfold the hoodie he was wrapped up in to find him sitting perfectly still with a stunned/frightened look. He didn't flinch as I pulled the hoodie back which was unusual for him. And he just sat there. I scooped him up and found little pools of blood under him which scared the **** out of me. I'm not entirely sure how much it was - it was a couple of little areas soaked into the fabric. After a minute of just holding him and petting his face, he seemed to snap out of his initial shock but he was incredibly sluggish and slowly nuzzled in to me for protection. It took a while before he'd let me even peek at his belly.

I'm not entirely sure where the problem is. He had some blood beside his penis, on his back foot, and under his chin, but I can't find any sign of a wound in the quick checks I get before he either tucks his feet in or squirms upright, though it could be hidden by his fur. He also seems to have started quilling again. My two thoughts are either he was a little too aggressive during "boy time" and bit something he shouldn't have, or poked himself with a quill that was stuck in the hoodie. If he cut his abdomen, then it's easy enough to explain the blood on his foot and chin from happening when he balled up. I managed to put some regular Polysporin on the suspect area (I've always got some on hand since I'm prone to cutting myself in stupid ways) so I'm hoping that I found the right spot and it'll help him.

It's now 2:00 am and I'm still up, worrying about the little guy. He's not running over to his food bowl to eat, but he's happily eating any kibble I hand him, so it doesn't look like his mouth is the source of the problem. He's finally squirming and running back to his igloo like he usually does when I'm getting him up to check on him. He's not running on his wheel which is unusual for him, but it could be he's just resting up from his scary little event. I'm wondering if he was just in a little state of shock/panic from the unexpected bleeding and just wants to rest.

I'm staying home tomorrow to keep an extremely close eye on him, make sure it was a one-off thing, and that he's doing okay. Is there anything I should look for as far as signs of a cut or if it's healing, or other possible sources of bleeding?
Nebular is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-17-2011, 08:57 AM   #2 (permalink)
Hooked on Hogs

Default Re: Bleeding and What to Look For?

He probably bit himself. I had an episode with Yuri Sunday morning and I'm certain that is what he did too.

Put him on white liners or paper towels to monitor urine and fecal colour. If it looks normal and he is acting and eating normally, biting himself is the most probable answer.

Retired from breeding

Rescue contact for both the Hedgehog Welfare Society and the IHA
Rescued over 70 (and counting) hedgehogs needing a new home

http://freewebs.com/thehedgieden/
Nancy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-17-2011, 10:03 AM   #3 (permalink)

Herman -my heart patient- did this & gave *ME* a heart attack. i went to pick him up & there was a pool of blood beneath him & he was covered in it. i lost in internally. kept calm externally so i could check him out.

i gently touched him to see if there was an initial pain reaction or obvious injury. there wasn't, so i picked him up...his belly was soaked in blood. i turned him carefully on his back. he relaxed & let me poked around (again, very gently) to see if there were any painful spots. there weren't. i rinsed him off & he just sat there, looking up at me sweetly as if he appreciated the help. it would have been adorable if i had not been so freaked out.

once he was clean, i could see much better. there were no cuts or punctures & we was not sore or tender to the touch. given that the blood covered from a little above his sheath down, i figured it must be some penile injury but couldn't be sure. i dried him off, put him on light colored fleece, & watched him for the next little bit. there was still a little blood - coming right from the sheath/penis. it stopped shortly.

took him to the vet the next morning (this happened at night) & sure enough...lateral penile hematoma. he had cut the skin & then had a resulting nasty bruise. poor little weenie
(could not resist the double entendre! ) it healed up in about a week & a half with no special care. he did seem to be a little slower than normal for a couple days afterward...which totally made sense to me.

this is no fun for any parties invovled - so sorry you had to be initiated to the club!
rivoli256 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2011, 10:29 AM   #4 (permalink)

I would have been so beside myself! I am a new hedgehog owner, and I have a female so I can't be of any help to you.

But I am reading the replies with interest because I have been thinking of adding another hedgehog to the family and I was going to get a male (I have no intention on breeding, just wanted one of each) but this whole "boy thing" and "boy time" makes me have to ask the question ---- are boys more "work" because of their "boy toy"?

Hope your honey is better soon!

Kathy
They set off together down the path to return the fresh laundry to the little animals and birds in the neighbourhood. Lucie mounts the stile and turns to thank Mrs. Tiggy-winkle. "But what a very odd thing!" Mrs. Tiggy-winkle is running running running up the hill. Her cap, shawl, and print gown are nowhere to be seen. How small and brown she has grown and covered with prickles! "Why! Mrs. Tiggy-winkle is nothing but a HEDGEHOG!"

Beatrix Potter - The Tale of Mrs. Tiggy Winkle
KathyTNY is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-17-2011, 10:46 AM   #5 (permalink)

Well, he ran for 45 minutes last night hitting a top speed of 6 km/h which is a very short time for him, but close to his usual speed. He skipped his food entirely last night, but was still willing to eat when I hand fed him this morning. His liners are white and there's no trace of new blood anywhere. Poop on his wheel is the usual colour and no blood there either, so that's a relief. I poked around the suspect area again and he's not acting as though the area hurts, so it looks like it's just a bite/cut. Still keeping a close eye on the little monster today to make sure he's alright. Thanks for the advice everyone!
Nebular is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-17-2011, 10:48 AM   #6 (permalink)

very glad to hear he's doing well.

silly boys! you would think they would be more careful.

i did find it funny that when Herman was healing & he would indulge, i could always tell b/c he would squeak a bit as it was obviously still sore when used vigorously. he was fine otherwise...so i couldn't help but snicker & roll my eyes at him.
Old 03-17-2011, 11:06 AM   #7 (permalink)
Hooked on Hogs

Our Bandit bit himself 3 times and I guess he must have decided 3 strikes and you're out because after the 3rd time we never again found any evidence of him having boy fun.

Retired from breeding

Rescue contact for both the Hedgehog Welfare Society and the IHA
Rescued over 70 (and counting) hedgehogs needing a new home

http://freewebs.com/thehedgieden/
Nancy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-17-2011, 11:10 AM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy
Our Bandit bit himself 3 times and I guess he must have decided 3 strikes and you're out because after the 3rd time we never again found any evidence of him having boy fun.
Or, in his case, "three strikes and you're NOT out"...
Old 03-17-2011, 11:19 AM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissC
Or, in his case, "three strikes and you're NOT out"...

classic!
well played, MissC, well played.
(though not well played for poor Bandit...heh)
Old 03-18-2011, 10:07 PM   #10 (permalink)

Sheesh.

PM'ing LarryT to ask to put "female" next to my reserve

My Sweeties

CritterHeaven is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in