I've run out of ideas. Please help! - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-16-2011, 09:47 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default I've run out of ideas. Please help!

Hey,

I've searched through the forum and I haven't found anything that is specific to my hogs issues.

I bought Sarge over a year ago. I defiantly have had nothing but adventures with her. I adore her very much but I am having MAJOR issues with her and I don't know what to do.

Sarge began loosing quills roughly a year ago. She recovered from the first loss and was growing back all her quills without an issue. She was living with a foster family at this time, so I don't know what they treated her with.

About 9 months ago, Sarge began loosing her quills again and this time in large quantities. She was almost bald minus a few patches. I took her into the vet and they treated her. She is a salt n' paper, but grew all her quills back pure white. For a while, she was sporting a really funky style of white mainly in the back, rear and sides and salt n' pepper over her head.

As of 2 months ago, she started to loose her quills again. She hasn't grown any back and she's starting to itch...a lot. She sometimes scratches till she bleeds. This is mainly over her 'shoulders'. She is pretty much bald with random quills across her back. Her head is still thick with quills and she has quills along her sides and rear (she never lost the quills on her head). There are a few spots where the skin around the base of a quill is inflamed or irritated, there are only 5 or less of these spots at one time.

I'm super scared, and I'm a university student...so going to a vet isn't possible until April when I get a job and can afford the bills. Throughout the entire episode of quill loss she has had clear eyes, nose and ears. She has always eaten, drank and pooped normally. Right now, she is running around my living room and only stopping to scratch once in a while.

She doesn't seem to be in much discomfort minus the itching. She huffles normal and clicks only once in a while. No screaming or whining. No hair loss. No scabbing, rashes or anything on the belly skin or face.

I really really really want her to be healthy and better. I am wondering if there are any suggestions that people may have.
Rajita is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-16-2011, 11:16 PM   #2 (permalink)
PJM
Rescue

Default Re: I've run out of ideas. Please help!

Welcome to HHC. I'm sorry that Sarge is having issues. It sounds to me like it could be mites. If so, Revolution is what's recommended most. I haven't had to use it yet, so hopefully someone else with more experience will help out.
You can also do a search in the Health section for Revolution.
I hope that helps a little.

PJM is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-16-2011, 11:49 PM   #3 (permalink)

She's been treated for mites before and the last test that came by was apparently negative. I've put her on black fabric and haven't found any mites, and her quills still have a round nob at the end...I am under the impression that mite's chew this off. Please correct me if I am wrong though

I'm wondering specifically if there is anything I can do for her for the next month until I can afford to visit the vet.
Rajita is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2011, 12:04 AM   #4 (permalink)

Skin scrapes can give false negatives for mites. Also, not seeing the mites or the quills having the ball at the end don't mean mites aren't present, so it could still be a possibility, as well as a fungal infection.

I can't give you advice for what to do in the next month, it sounds like she needs a vet asap.
Old 03-17-2011, 12:42 AM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by susanaproenca
I can't give you advice for what to do in the next month, it sounds like she needs a vet asap.
Susan is right - she needs a vet PDQ.

Have you spoken to your vet? You may be able to pay over time or something or offer to walk dogs for them or other labour...?? If you call, try to talk to the vet, not the office people (I think people are more sympathetic when they deal with the people/animals directly). I was dog-sitting last Summer and had to do an emergency visit (naturally ) and explained that I had NO money. Zero. Nada. AND out of the two vets in town, I picked the one the dog hadn't been to see Anyway...they said we'll worry about the health first, bills later. We worked it out a month later when the owner returned.

It's worth a try, right?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in