Poop Questions - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-14-2011, 12:46 AM   #1 (permalink)

Send a message via MSN to ehanton
Default Poop Questions

Okay so I have had Alfie for about 2 weeks now and I have a lots of poop problems!
1) Alfie poops in his hedgiebag all the time, normally 2-3 times a day. Is this normal? Its getting annoying because I have to wash them daily because I don't want him sleeping in poop!
2) His poops are very mushy and slimy, they are normally a light brown color but they look very mucous-like, almost like jell-o at times. I am pretty sure this isn't normal. I know hedgehogs need time to adjust to a new diet and everything, but it doesn't seem to of gotten any better.
3) His poop and pee also smells really bad!

Any help appreciated! Thanks!

Oh he is on wellness indoor health formula and blue buffalo indoor health.
ehanton is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-14-2011, 01:20 AM   #2 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to Puffers315
Default Re: Poop Questions

Not an expert, but the pooping in his hedgie bag seems to raise a flag with me, usually these guys don't do their business where they sleep (though some sleep on their wheel where most do their business). What does he have for litter if any?

My first hedgehog was really shy about going to the bathroom out in the open, she was a very social girl but potty time required either lights out or an enclosed place to use the bathroom, so she had her very own outhouse. You might try if he uses litter, making something the litter goes into so he has some cover.

As for the poop, some canned unspiced pumpkin mix can help firm up the poops, if that doesn't work, might be worth to visit a vet in case something is up stomach wise. It may also be the reason he is pooping inside his bag, sudden urge to go?

See what everyone else here says.
Old 03-14-2011, 02:13 AM   #3 (permalink)

What food was he on before? Or was he eating the same mix?

If he was eating something different, so many changes in just 2 weeks is probaby wreaking havoc on his tummy. Wellness is very rich and has been known to cause some upset tummies. And did you introduce them one at a time? Every hedgie reacts to food differently which is why we always introduce 1 food at a time. Just my opinion but if you had done a complete food change in 2 weeks that's probably your biggest culprit. Perhaps along with the pumpkin try taking out the wellness and see if his poop improves. Once it is nice and firm again wait an extra week or two and then decide if you want to slowly reintroduce the wellness. It usually takes me about 3-4 weeks just to introduce a new food but I also err on the side of caution.
Immortalia is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2011, 09:18 PM   #4 (permalink)

Send a message via MSN to ehanton

Thanks for the help!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Puffers315
Not an expert, but the pooping in his hedgie bag seems to raise a flag with me, usually these guys don't do their business where they sleep (though some sleep on their wheel where most do their business). What does he have for litter if any?

My first hedgehog was really shy about going to the bathroom out in the open, she was a very social girl but potty time required either lights out or an enclosed place to use the bathroom, so she had her very own outhouse. You might try if he uses litter, making something the litter goes into so he has some cover.

As for the poop, some canned unspiced pumpkin mix can help firm up the poops, if that doesn't work, might be worth to visit a vet in case something is up stomach wise. It may also be the reason he is pooping inside his bag, sudden urge to go?

See what everyone else here says.
He has no problem pooping outside, he poops like crazy on his wheel, he doesn't have any litter, I haven't found a litter pan to fit his wheel in yet, I have been hunting! I will try the unspiced pumpkin, where in the grocery store would I find that?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Immortalia
What food was he on before? Or was he eating the same mix?

If he was eating something different, so many changes in just 2 weeks is probaby wreaking havoc on his tummy. Wellness is very rich and has been known to cause some upset tummies. And did you introduce them one at a time? Every hedgie reacts to food differently which is why we always introduce 1 food at a time. Just my opinion but if you had done a complete food change in 2 weeks that's probably your biggest culprit. Perhaps along with the pumpkin try taking out the wellness and see if his poop improves. Once it is nice and firm again wait an extra week or two and then decide if you want to slowly reintroduce the wellness. It usually takes me about 3-4 weeks just to introduce a new food but I also err on the side of caution.
The wellness was being fed at the breeders but I added in the blue buffalo food so I think that may be the culprit, I think I will try the pumpkin and reducing the amount of blue buffalo and see if that helps!
ehanton is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in