Quill loss? - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-11-2011, 03:52 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Quill loss?

Hey all!

I'm a little worried about Sandslash. I'm sure he's fine, but I just had a few questions for you guys regarding the normalcy of his situation.

Firstly, he loses a LOT of quills. He had mites a few months ago, which I treated 3 times with revolution while buying all new cage things for his house. His cage is just littered with quills though and every time I pick him up 2 or 3 fall out. He seems like he kind of has bald spots but you can't see them when his quills are down, only when hes totally balled up. And in the places where the quills are sparse, I can see new quills coming in.

Also, usually when I reach under his liner to get him he doesn't ball up, just lets me get him, but for the past few days he's been balling. Could it be because his new quills are hurting? He has quite a few that have just broken the skin. Could they maybe be growing back after the quill loss from the mites? He's totally content to lay on my stomach or he does this thing where he lays across my palm and puts his front feet and chin over my index finger and kinda holds onto it. As long as I don't touch his back he seems fine.

Lastly, I just picked him up and saw snot for the first time ever. It wasn't a lot. Just a tiny drop of clear stuff underneath his nose. I couldn't tell if he had been drooling in his sleep or if it was snot But it looked and felt more or less like water. I've never seen it, is that normal? His cage is always at at least 75 degrees and he has a normal light schedule.

He's got some dry skin flakes, so I'm thinking it might be the weather? It's been unseasonably cold in Vancouver. I'm going to put some flax seed oil on his food every night for a week and see what that does. I usually hear him scratch one or two times a night while he sleeps but since I put some flax on his back yesterday he has stopped. Hopefully the flax in his food helps, his vet is quite far away and I'd like to spare him that trip if at all possible.

He eats normally, wheels normally, poops normally. Literally nothing is out of the ordinary except the bald spots, which, to be fair, I may have just not noticed until now because he almost never balls for me. He has always had enough quills in his cage that it looks like a hedgie exploded.

Sorry for the novel! I'm such a hypochondriac hedgemom . Any insight would be greatly appreciated! I'm sure I'm just overreacting but hearing from the veterans about what is/isnt normal would really set my mind at ease!

Thanks HHC!
Galvon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-11-2011, 05:09 AM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: Quill loss?

I agree and think that the new quills coming in may be causing him to be little grumpy. I thought my hedgie Loken might have had mites a few months back. I noticed that he still lost some quills after the third treatment but it slowly started tapering off to nothing. I figured the ones he lost after the treatments were probably damaged from when he had the mites. It's a good sign that you are seeing new ones coming in. Oatmeal baths helped out a lot for the new growth coming in.

As for the wet nose I would keep a close eye on it since it is a symptom of a URI. I've never noticed anything like that when they first wake up, only time is if they had accidentally dunked their noses while drinking. Hopefully there will be more along though because my experience is limited to my two hedgies.

Hope everything is alright with Sandslash and that it's nothing
Old 03-11-2011, 07:41 AM   #3 (permalink)

Send a message via MSN to Alastrina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galvon

Lastly, I just picked him up and saw snot for the first time ever. It wasn't a lot. Just a tiny drop of clear stuff underneath his nose. I couldn't tell if he had been drooling in his sleep or if it was snot But it looked and felt more or less like water. I've never seen it, is that normal? His cage is always at at least 75 degrees and he has a normal light schedule.
I saw the same clear fluid, just a tiny drop, underneath Charley's nose a few days ago. I had a surefire ride to the vet, so I made him an appointment and got him started on some Clavamox (anti-biotic) as a precaution. Not saying your little one has a URI, just that I saw the same thing in my boy.

This is also after a round with mites, about the same timing too. Maybe the sniffles come as a part of the package b/c of stress and a lowered immune system? Just me wondering out loud there.

Hopefully it's nothing and we're both just being worry warts!

Rest in Peace Charley, you will always be my heart <3
Alastrina is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2011, 04:38 PM   #4 (permalink)

Thanks so much for the opinions guys!

New question: Does anyone know what a hedgiesneeze sounds like? I've never heard Sandy sneeze but I've been on the lookout and don't really know what I'm looking for haha. Also he's always licked his nose sometimes. Not a lot, but occasionally. Is that normal?

Edit: I just looked at your picture gallery of Charley and Sandy's bald patches aren't anything like that. They're just little tiny areas where the quills seem sparser than everywhere else. But there ARE new quills coming in so I think hedgieonboard might be right that he just kept losing a few damaged quills and now they're growing in. I hope Charles in Charge is feeling better
Galvon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in