My hedghog can't walk - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-10-2011, 02:16 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default My hedghog can't walk

Hey everyone,
We recently had a tumor removed from our hedghog's, Lewie, chest. He was doing good initially after surgery and seemed to be really happy. Now it has been a few weeks and he is unable to use one of his front legs. This is the leg opposite of where the tumor was removed. When he had the surgery they had to remove part of his pectoral muscle due to the growth of the tumor. We brought him home and helped him get around for a week or two. Now its seems like he may have had a stroke or something like that. His other leg stays back by his hind legs and he uses his nose and face to (kind of) drag himself around his cage. He has stopped eating unless we feed him directly. We think it's because he can't eat and support his weight with his nose at the same time. We really don't want him to suffer, but we also don't want to give up on him.
Has anyone had a similar experiences or does anyone have any ideas on what we might be able to do to make him more comfortable. Before all of this Lewie ran in his wheel all the time and was very loving. Now he doesn't come out of his house unless we take him out. He is still very loving though once we get him out. He is about two and a half years old. We are extremely worried. Any comments or ideas would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you ,
Jason Wheeler
Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-10-2011, 02:49 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: My hedghog can't walk

i have a little guy with a mystery problem similar to yours...don't know if he has had a stroke, has a neuro thing, or what. for now the vet has ruled out WHS but i know it still could be possible.

he is small...only 260g...& young, just over a year. but the symptoms are worsening. he drags himself around alright though. he has stopped wheeling - he likes to sit on it sometimes but has no interest in trying to move on it. he tips over b/c he cannot balance himself properly...the affected front leg hangs down & back toward the hind legs. the affected hind end is just a little "hoppy."

he does not eat as much some days & is a little more susceptible to infection now, so he gets an extra dose of probiotic. & if he seems to be losing weight, he gets a nutritional suppliment (like NutriCal...only i am a weirdo & use an organic version without preservatives, etc.). this helps a lot. he also gets extra treats like chicken & egg to get some extra protein & sweet potato for fiber.

i have a video of him...it's not that great but it does show his balance issues. if someone will tell me how the heck i can post it, i will certain do so.
rivoli256 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-10-2011, 03:32 PM   #3 (permalink)

I'm sorry about your hedgie! Hopefully you'll be able to figure out what happened and help him be more comfortable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rivoli256
i have a video of him...it's not that great but it does show his balance issues. if someone will tell me how the heck i can post it, i will certain do so.
I think the easiest way is to post the video on youtube or other website and and post the link here.

Old 03-10-2011, 04:44 PM   #4 (permalink)
Administrator

Jason, have you discussed the problem with your veterinarian yet?

I have one now that had surgery in February that started to stumble and fall over post-surgery. For him we increase his environmental temperature and started to massage & help him exercise to regain strength in his shoulder and leg. So far we have had some improvements, they are small and slow, but its still improvements.

Snuffle!
Kalandra is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-10-2011, 04:51 PM   #5 (permalink)

ok, we will see if this works...

sorry this isn't that great...i have a nice long video of him but it would not send to the computer or download right, so all i could do was this snippet. still you can see his non-working leg & how he "lists port" (falls over on his left side). i am not sure is you can see well but he knuckles under on his right front paw.

forgive his filthiness...he has Booster on his face, he pooped on his blankie, & yes, his tummy is a mess. *sigh* boys. he may be impaired but he makes sure to have his fun.

so here is the video: http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/v...06942492655863
Old 03-10-2011, 04:56 PM   #6 (permalink)

grrrrr....i have the settings so everyone can see it...so i am not sure why it is requesting people log in to FB. grrrrrrrrrrrr. sorry. i have tried changing my privacy settings. & i put it so everybody could see the video. i am destined never to post anything other than text here, i swear.
Old 03-10-2011, 05:45 PM   #7 (permalink)

That's pretty much what Lewie's is also doing. It is still a fairly recent surgery. For now we will keep hand feeding him and helping him with his excercise. Hopefully he gets better. We have talked with our vet about this problem before and he's not sure exactly what it could be, but we'll keep our fingers crossed. Thank you for all of your advice and for sharing your video.
Jason
Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-10-2011, 05:54 PM   #8 (permalink)

Sadly, I have no advice to offer but I just wanted to say that I hope they both begin getting around better soon. My thoughts are with them, and I'm sure people on here can offer some good advice to make their quality of life better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rivoli256
he also gets extra treats like chicken & egg to get some extra protein & sweet potato for fiber.

It sure seems as though he enjoys that chicken!
Old 03-10-2011, 06:24 PM   #9 (permalink)
PJM
Rescue

Poor little sweetie. It's good he's got you to take such good care of him.
I wish I could help out with either hedgie, but I don't know anything...

PJM is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-10-2011, 09:06 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunflowerseeds
Sadly, I have no advice to offer but I just wanted to say that I hope they both begin getting around better soon. My thoughts are with them....

It sure seems as though he enjoys that chicken!
...thank you. he's my little guy & fits right in the palm of my hand. he likes to hang out in my hair! he still scrambles everywhere...just looks like a prickly Quasimodo when he does. i try to be funny about it b/c if i am not i get all verklempt.

& you are right...he LOVES that chicken. i really wish i could post the whole video. it is sad but funny the way he attacks it & chomps & smacks. i don't know if you can hear him smacking when he chews in the vid on FB, but in the original you sure can. i need to teach him some manners.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in