Rescued Mr Gilbert Cotton.. Mites? - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-09-2011, 03:51 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Rescued Mr Gilbert Cotton.. Mites?

So I rescued a hedgehog today...
His name is Gilbert (Mr Gilbert Cotton that is... he will need a parrot to talk for him! lol) and I'm pretty concerned about him.. I THINK he may have mites so Im going to take him to the vet tomorrow...
His ears are jagged and his skin looks awful... I held him for about ten min and was wearing a black shirt and it was covered in dander when I was done....
He also has some scabs on his face.. is this also a sign of mites?

My big question is how do I keep captain q-tip from getting them? Im keeping the new Hegie, Gilbert, in a different room (i had already planned to quarantine him) and I have changed my clothes since picking him up... I'm assuming not to wash their cage liners together.. should I wash Gilberts a special way? (Gilbert is actually currently on newspaper.. eep.... but I'm switching him over to fleece liners unless theres something else I should use till he is better) and of course washed my hands... but should I take a full shower?? can mites spread in the house? My mom has dogs.. so I don't want them to get mites either... assuming that what it is.. which i think is pretty likely.

poor lil Gilbert... I should sat big Gilbert though.. cause he is soooo so overweight... a consequence or being in a small plastic tub without a wheel and being fed "regular" cat food I'm sure....

Thanks in advance for the advice... I learned so much on here after I got Captain.. Who is doing splendidly and I love to death.. Hopefully I can make Gilberts life a happier one. Hes very sweet boy by the way.. much less grumpy than my Captain lol! Now lets see if I can get him healthy...
Advertisement

Old 03-10-2011, 07:34 AM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: Rescued Mr Gilbert Cotton.. Mites?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Libby_n_Captian
So I rescued a hedgehog today...
His name is Gilbert (Mr Gilbert Cotton that is... he will need a parrot to talk for him! lol) and I'm pretty concerned about him.. I THINK he may have mites so Im going to take him to the vet tomorrow...
His ears are jagged and his skin looks awful... I held him for about ten min and was wearing a black shirt and it was covered in dander when I was done....
He also has some scabs on his face.. is this also a sign of mites?

My big question is how do I keep captain q-tip from getting them? Im keeping the new Hegie, Gilbert, in a different room (i had already planned to quarantine him) and I have changed my clothes since picking him up... I'm assuming not to wash their cage liners together.. should I wash Gilberts a special way? (Gilbert is actually currently on newspaper.. eep.... but I'm switching him over to fleece liners unless theres something else I should use till he is better) and of course washed my hands... but should I take a full shower?? can mites spread in the house? My mom has dogs.. so I don't want them to get mites either... assuming that what it is.. which i think is pretty likely.

poor lil Gilbert... I should sat big Gilbert though.. cause he is soooo so overweight... a consequence or being in a small plastic tub without a wheel and being fed "regular" cat food I'm sure....

Thanks in advance for the advice... I learned so much on here after I got Captain.. Who is doing splendidly and I love to death.. Hopefully I can make Gilberts life a happier one. Hes very sweet boy by the way.. much less grumpy than my Captain lol! Now lets see if I can get him healthy...
it was very nice of you to rescue the little guy!

When we got my Pete, we suspected she had mites too. Her skin was horribly flaky and crusty. I took her to the vet and the skin scrape came back negative, but we still decided to use Revolution because sometimes skin scrapes can be false negatives.

What I did during quarentine was to get home from work and get one of them out, then take a shower and change my clothes and get the other one out. And keep them in separate rooms, of course. But, we also decided to treat my other hedgie, Mustard, with Revolution too, just to be certain she wouldn't get it if Pete really had it.

I don't think hedgehog mites can spread to dogs. Someone will correct me if I'm wrong.

Something else I suggest you doing is to add a little bit of flaxseed oil to his food a few times a week. Buy flaxseed oil in capsules as the oil is very unstable and the bottle will go bad fast. Then just poke a hole in the capsule and squirt a few drops on his kibble -- but make sure he will eat is as some hedgies are very picky and won't eat the food with oil.

Good luck at the vet!
Old 03-10-2011, 09:42 AM   #3 (permalink)
PJM
Rescue

When we got Zoey, she had pretty tattered ears. We put a drop of flaxseed behind each ear every few days & Her ears look great now.
For quarentine, I would get Cholla first every night, then Zoey. The next morning, I would check on & feed Zoey first, then take a shower, then check on & feed Cholla.
We haven't had to deal with mites yet, so I would follow what Susana said.
Good for you for taking him in! An't wait to hear more about Gilbert.

PJM is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2011, 12:37 PM   #4 (permalink)

I am quite certain that hedgehog mites are species specific - meaning they can only survive on hedgehogs; so there should be no concern for the dogs.
Well done on rescuing Mr. Gilbert, sounds like he was in a pretty rotten place.
Good idea about the vet. Even if it isn't mites, might be good to treat him and see if the vet has any suggestions for improving his skin condition and a weight-loss program.
Can't wait to hear updates about the 'little' guy and see photos!
Old 03-10-2011, 06:12 PM   #5 (permalink)

so.. i couldn't get into the vet today but i have an appointment tomorrow although the receptionist said they couldn't do a skin scrape on a hegie cause they cant pinch the skin... didnt make sense to me... since other hegies here have obviously had skin scrapes... but well see..

Hes a pretty cooperative guy cause I gave him a bath with jus some oatmeal to try and sooth his skin (also he smelled like dawn so i think that's what she used to bathe him.. seems like that could irritate skin...) and I was also able to trim his nails and he was awesome.. took me three weeks to trim all of Captains the first time and its an on-going battle... but I got all of Gilbert's in one shot which surprised me since they didn't look like they had been trimmed.. ever...

Good to hear I'm doing the quarantine right... And that the mites if he has them are hedgie specific... takes away some of the worry...

I'm deff getting some flax seed oil.. hes been such a good boy which surprised me cause he hasn't been handled much supposedly...

I cant wait to post the pics i took last night! Hes so big compared to Captain!! oh and I cant wait to see how much he weighs... Im GUESSING around 800g or more...

Im so glad I got him.. he needs some lubbin!! Ill let you all know how the vet goes... maybe he jus has bad skin from the lack of care.. im crossin fingers..

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in