Help! Bald spot, infected quill, weird poo. Vet clueless. - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

Like Tree4Likes
  • 4 Post By Lilysmommy

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-04-2014, 08:04 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Help! Bald spot, infected quill, weird poo. Vet clueless.

First I want to say that we just got home from the vet. She was more helpful than a vet that we've been to in the past, but still wasn't as knowledgable about hedgehogs as would make me comfortable. So I would like this forum's opinion as well.

The issue that prompted the vet visit was that we noticed a place on his rear starting to go bald from losing quills. It can only be seen if he's laying on his back partially balled up.

When we were getting ready to go to the vet we took some time to let him poop. He poo'd a normal poo, then he poo'd a mega smelly, soft poo that had a gelatinous green area on it. We took this poo to the vet with us.

At the vet she examed the poo but didn't find any parasites or anything in it. SHe also took some skin fleck samples from his balding area. Then when she was looking for a quill to pluck to check out she found one that looked infected. We hadn't noticed it before. The skin was red and ***** just around the base of the quill.

After the examination she didn't really know what was wrong. Found nothing in the poo, skin, or quill sample. She gave us an antibiotic (Amoxidrop) in case it's an infection, and Ivomec in case it's mites. We realllly don't think it's mites though: he doesn't scratch and isn't around anything that harbors mites. We use only fleece in his cage, no wooden toys. Not to mention the vet said she didn't think it was mites, but wanted him to take the medicine in case.

I have a couple of pictures of the bald spot, and a picture of a suspicious looking quill (which may just be poop, I don't know.)

It may be helpful to know he's about 3 1/2 years old. Weighs 700kg (she gave it as just over 1 pound, so we did the conversion estimate). And his name is Persimmon

Thanks for any advice. I'm just afraid to give him any of these medicines if the vet herself seems unsure of what to do, or even what the problem is.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image_1417740934983.jpg (140.5 KB, 81 views)
File Type: jpg image_1417741024253.jpg (146.2 KB, 68 views)
File Type: jpg image_1417741075560.jpg (127.9 KB, 31 views)
File Type: jpg image_1417741171049.jpg (96.1 KB, 37 views)
Mushaboom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-04-2014, 08:51 PM   #2 (permalink)
Super Moderator

First off, I'd take the Ivomec back, don't give him any. If it's the oral version, that's safer than the injected version (which vets typically inject themselves anyway, so I doubt they'd send it with you), but Ivermectin (also called Ivomec) has been the cause of numerous hedgehog deaths due to how it works & how little of an overdose can cause issues. I would ask the vet if you can get Revolution to use in case of mites. It's much safer & much more difficult to overdose, so it's always recommended over Ivermectin/Ivomec.

I agree that it doesn't really look or sound like mites. It sounds like a skin infection. IMO, I don't think it'd hurt to give the course of antibiotics prescribed & see if it helps clear the problem up. However, you could also have her get another sample & send it into a lab for culturing. That would help identify whether it's a bacterial infection, fungal infection, etc. as well as the exact organism causing the problem, which can give you an exact medication to deal with it. Some antibiotics are more effective for different infections. So you could do that now, before you start antibiotics, if you wanted to, since I believe it can sometimes take a week or two to get results back from a lab. Or you could give the current dose of antibiotics a try & take him back in if it doesn't clear up to send it out for a culture. I would personally see if she could send in a sample for culturing now, in case it does take a while to get results. That way if the antibiotics don't work, you don't have long to wait before you'll get more answers and can try something else. That area looks pretty sore, poor guy. I hope the meds will help or that you can get it figured out quickly.
nikki, shetland, MomLady and 1 others like this.

RIP my sweet Lily ~ 6/12/08 - 1/20/12
Lilysmommy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-05-2014, 11:07 AM   #3 (permalink)

Thank you so much for your feedback. I definitely won't be giving that mite medication.

Old 12-05-2014, 11:40 AM   #4 (permalink)

I got him out today to give him a dose of the antibiotics and found another red, puss quill like the vet pulled.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image_1417797573681.jpg (112.5 KB, 36 views)
Old 12-05-2014, 01:24 PM   #5 (permalink)

I always let the hedgie experts provide the necessary advice. But I did want to say that Persimmon has the sweetest little face. I love his little pink hands and, of course, his TOOFERS.
shetland is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in