Instant Breakfast for syringe feeding? - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-04-2011, 09:21 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Instant Breakfast for syringe feeding?

Hey guys, to make a long story short, Beck is still eating very minimally voluntarily. I syringe fed him about the equivalent of 10-15 kibbles yesterday, and gave him mashed banana and water every 4 hours to help hydrate him. PapilionRu has been helping (she's a lifesaver!) and we think that the dosage of furosemide he got was an overdose for him, and I'm just trying to help him ride it out until it clears his system. I can get Ensure and Hills AD diet tomorrow morning.

In the meantine, I could continue syring the banana water, OR, I have a small carton of vanilla Carnation instant breakfast. Can I syringe him this for some nutrients and protein, or will it create more problems because it's milk (lactose) based? Any other tips on helping hydrate him would be great.

Old 03-04-2011, 09:32 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: Instant Breakfast for syringe feeding?

I won't give my opinion on the Carnation because I'm not sure, but I want to suggest something to get him drinking water again on his own.

Last year my girl Mustard got sick and dehydrated very quickly. She wasn't drinking on her own so I would syringe her some water, and HedgeMom (RIP) suggested offering her water sweetened with a little bit of honey. It worked like a charm, she slowly started to show some interest and after a couple of days was drinking good amounts of sweetened water. I don't know if it will work with Beck, but it might be worth a try.
Old 03-04-2011, 09:35 PM   #3 (permalink)

Thanks, I can try that too. Unfortunately I can't get that until tomorrow morning either... if I was a normal person, I might have some of these things around my cupboards, but alas. I can go to Meto first thing though.

I feel better tonight than last tonight. He's more alert than he was, and he did eat a few kibbles on his own, plus I've been getting fluid and banana into him. Last night, not so much. I was a bit scared that I wasn't going to have a hog this morning. Hopefully he's feeling better soon.

Old 03-04-2011, 09:36 PM   #4 (permalink)

Nutrical is also very good to use for those not eating.
Old 03-04-2011, 10:05 PM   #5 (permalink)

i wouldn't feed him the carnation instant breakfast -- that stuff is mostly sugar...not even that good for people
Old 03-04-2011, 11:23 PM   #6 (permalink)

I am just throwing this out there...I KNOW NOTHING...what about fruit juice? REAL juice...no sugar or other crapola...I'm thinking of the gazillion flavors you could get...just watch you don't get anything too acidy?

I just about blew up the microwave cooking a carrot, so....if this idea is waaaaaaaaaaaay out there, I blame the drugs. (To clarify: Prescription and new and necessary). I can actually feel myself getting dumber. I was no prize to begin with.
Old 03-05-2011, 12:13 PM   #7 (permalink)

Default Update: Hope yet!

Just a quick update:

This morning I hit the grocery store, vet, and farmer's market, and Beck is looking like one spoiled hog. I got him Ensure, Hills AD, and a little pixie stick full of honey

He still didn't eat or drink (at least nothing noticeable) overnight, so I syringed him about 15mL of the ensure at about 10am and gave him his enalapril heart meds. I put him away, then moved him to his carrier to clean his cage at 11:30. When I refilled his water, I added about a tsp of honey to it and put him back in.

At first he just scooted to his house. Then I heard this "sniff. sniff sniff sniff."

*Hedgie head pops back out*

Then he scuttled over to his water and DRANK. Never have I been so relieved. That hog drank for 2 minutes. I timed him. I was that happy to see him drink voluntarily. Could he really smell the honey in his water from his house? Anyways. He's resting now, but I'll get him up again in a few hours to offer him kibble. Otherwise I'll probably give him some more Ensure (or should I give the Hills AD instead?). I think he just really needs to get rehydrated, and the more rehydrated he gets, the better he'll start feeling, and eventually get back to eating.
Old 03-05-2011, 12:28 PM   #8 (permalink)

Sounds like honey should be part of the first aid kit for us newbies trying to gather supplies?

My Sweeties

CritterHeaven is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-06-2011, 01:14 AM   #9 (permalink)

Good to hear beck drank on his own. Still keeping you guys in my thoughts. Thanks for the update.
amber.vroman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-06-2011, 02:46 AM   #10 (permalink)

Glad to hear that he is drinking That is amazing he smelled the honey from his house especially since it was mixed with the water, I will definitely have to remember that trick in case I need it.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in