Very bad cough? - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By Draenog
  • 1 Post By Draenog
  • 2 Post By Draenog

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-24-2014, 03:48 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Very bad cough?

Hi everyone! I found an underweight "autumn hedgehog" in my garden (Europe). He was all healthy, but it's starting to get cold here and all websites recommend that they need to be at least 600gr before they can go in hibernation. I hence took her inside and am trying to feed her until she becomes 600 grams so I can release her outside again (of course with a nice outside living house and fresh food/water every day).

Things were going great, she's quickly gaining weight (doubled). But suddenly around 11am in the morning when she is/should be vast asleep I started hearing an awful cough. The first time it was as if she tried to puke, but I couldn't find anything in her sleeping place. The strange thing is, she's eating like crazy still and drinking fine. Also breathing sounds all fine. Should I get worried / bring her to an official rescue here (I prefer handling her myself so she can be put back here in the garden but health of course comes first). I recorded the sound this morning, it didn't sound as bad as the first time but possibly an expert here can recognize it and let me know if I should be worried! I read about the "smokers cough" related to e.g. lung worms but she only get's cat food inside, and breathing+appetite are all normal as indicated above.

Any help would be great appreciated, I read almost all articles I could to do a good job here but now I'm worried.

The sound recording was too large to upload here, but I put it on: http://privatepaste.com/download/4fcde288fe
antoine.richards is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-24-2014, 03:54 PM   #2 (permalink)

To add, this morning was the second day I heard it. It's about 4 times that I hear the cough (with some breaks in between), then the rest of the day/night things seem fine again.
Old 11-24-2014, 05:37 PM   #3 (permalink)

Where are you located?

It's probably better to bring her to an official hedgehog rescue. They know how to handle hedgehogs and they usually have a vet at hand who can check them over.
It does sound odd. I've never heard it before. My first thought was lung worm too, I don't know for how long you've had her but she could still have been carrying parasites from outside. A hedgehog rescue/vet can most likely help you more.
Lilysmommy likes this.

Draenog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2014, 05:42 PM   #4 (permalink)

I've had her for around 3 weeks. For the rest she seems all healthy. Based in The Netherlands.
Old 11-24-2014, 06:04 PM   #5 (permalink)

Me too, which area? Might be a rescue somewhere near you. You can always give them a call to see if they can help.
Lilysmommy likes this.

Old 11-24-2014, 06:06 PM   #6 (permalink)

Amsterdam area. Will give them a ring tomorrow then, probably they'll want to keep her in that case. But health is most important of course.
Old 11-24-2014, 06:37 PM   #7 (permalink)

Same - you can call De Toevlucht, that's the rescue centre in/close to Amsterdam. They take in birds but hedgehogs and other mammals too.

Some rescue centres have a programme where you can 'adopt' a hedgehog for rehabilitation. Maybe they are willing to release her in your garden? A lot of rescues try to release the animals in the same area.
nikki and Lilysmommy like this.

Old 11-24-2014, 09:32 PM   #8 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Agreed with Draenog, I'd worry about getting her to a rescue first, and releasing second. I'm sure they'd be open to releasing her back in your garden once she's large enough and healthy. I work at a wildlife rescue in the USA and we do our best to release animals where they came from if at all possible, especially for adults that have established territory.

RIP my sweet Lily ~ 6/12/08 - 1/20/12
Lilysmommy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in