Sick baby :(? - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-26-2011, 01:00 AM   #1 (permalink)

Smile Sick baby :(?

Hey guys, I thumbed through the archives but it's always good to get someone's advise on something especially when it comes to a sick hedgie . I got Vita when she was 8 weeks old, and she'll be 11 weeks old tomorrow. I gave her her first bath about 6 days ago, and noticed that some quills were coming out, but I thought it was just the (soft) toothbrush I was using on her. I looked around online and found that olive oil was safe to use for dry skin, so I gave her an Aveeno oatmeal bath and put some olive oil on her when she was done. I held her in a dry towel until she was thoroughly dry. About 3 days ago I noticed that there were a lot of quills near her food/water bowl. She's grumpy and doesn't like when I pick her up, I'm guessing because it hurts her.

Her quills keep coming out. She's not balding but definitely losing a good amount of quills. She is eating and drinking every night, comes out to...play? and does not have any discharge coming from her ears, nose, or eyes. She had diarrhea 3/5 nights that I was keeping an eye on the situation, and am giving her medication via water.
britpeters is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-26-2011, 01:09 AM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: Sick baby :(?

I don't know anything about babies myself but it sounds like she's quilling. Can you see new quills poking through her skin?

A baby expert will come along...don't you worry...
Old 02-26-2011, 01:55 AM   #3 (permalink)

Smile Re: Sick baby :(?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissC
I don't know anything about babies myself but it sounds like she's quilling. Can you see new quills poking through her skin?

A baby expert will come along...don't you worry...
Is 11 weeks still considered a 'baby'? I just called her that because she's my little baby . I don't see any new quills coming in (yet). She hasn't let me go near her and I feel so bad because I know she's hurting when I touch her -. I'm going to take her to a vet on Monday hopefully!!! I don't know if there's any emergency ones in New Jersey :-\.

Old 02-26-2011, 01:57 AM   #4 (permalink)

*TAKING HER TO THE VET MONDAY* I post here strictly to get more than one person's advise, NOT to delay vet care!
Old 02-26-2011, 03:09 AM   #5 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to Puffers315

Well at 11 weeks she's neither an adult nor a baby, I'd say more like a 5 year old child. From everything you have described with her, I'd put all my money on she is quilling. Hedgehogs will go through a quilling phase between 8 and 12 weeks of age, so she's the perfect age for it. She is active, eating and drinking. A sick hedgehog would not be eating overly well nor as active as they should. She's grumpy about being touched, but quilling is a painful process and most hedgehogs don't want to be touched because they are sore, and are just grumpy in general during this process. She's also not developing any bald spots but dropping a fair amount of quills.

So deep breath and don't worry too much over the weekend. If she hasn't seen a vet, I'd still go just for a general health checkup, those are always good (unless she's had one). If her habits change, then yes, definitely go to the vet. If you're not counting her food, its good to start now. Decrease in appetite and activity are usually the first signs of sickness (if they are showing any signs).

You'll get other responses from members come morning, Friday evenings are pretty quiet around here.
Old 02-26-2011, 11:59 AM   #6 (permalink)

I would bet that she is going through another quilling. You should see new quills coming through the skin soon. But it is good to go to the vet to be checked anyways.
Old 02-26-2011, 03:19 PM   #7 (permalink)

I third that she is quilling as well. As a general basis but every hedgehog is different here are the quilling ages:

First quilling 4 weeks
Second quilling 6 weeks
Third quilling: 9 weeks (this is their adult color quilling)
Adult quilling 12 weeks

Also so go through another quilling at 1 year old.

Soon enough you will see new quills coming thorugh. A vet check up will ease your mind that it is nothing more swerious.

Also it is very important that you still handle her everyday. Don't let her grumpiness stop you, just be gentle and don't pet her quills, just let her sit on you lap and snuggle or explore.

Good for giving her a Aveeno bath it will help ease the quilly hoepfully, you can do this a couple times a week to help soothe her. Do the olive oil or flax seed oil rinse after a nice warm Aveeno bath.

Good luck and let us know how she is going and what the vet says.

Breeding first and foremost for Health & Temperament
http://www.hedgehoggrove.com
Up to date News and Photos:
http://www.facebook.com/Hedgehog.Grove

http://www.hhgrescue.com
Facebook Page: http://www.facebook.com/HedgehogGroveRescue
Hedgehog Grove is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in