skin flakes&scratching - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-13-2011, 04:14 PM   #1 (permalink)

Talking skin flakes&scratching

okay so I'm super worried about Charlie

3ish days ago, he seemed a little grumpier than normal, but I just assumed he was tired.
The next day, I heard him scratching a lot and looked in his cage and it was COVERED in skin flakes.
I gave him an oatmeal bath with a flaxseed oil rinse, but that hasnt seemed to help much.
Its just as bad today, so I drizzled a oil capsule on his back, but I dont know if its helping.
Obviously I've looked for mites in the flakes, but I don't see anything, and I don't have any wood in my cage at all, I even use fleece liners. Plus he doesn't really have any balding spots, and his skin looks like its quilling.
The weird thing is that his skin on hit forehead and his stomach is getting pink...it's really worrying me.
I called the vet to set up an appointment but theyre not in on sundays, so they should call back tomorrow.
Any idea what could be wrong or at least what I can do to make him more comfortable??

Old 02-13-2011, 04:47 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: skin flakes&scratching

How old is he?

If he is quilling, upon close inspection you should be able to see new quills coming out of his skin.

Just looking at the skin flakes is not a reliable way to tell if hedgie has mites or not. The only way to tell is by doing a skin scrape at the vet, and still it could be a false negative -- hedgie has mites but the sample taken didn't have any.

For now until you're able to see a vet, don't touch his back too much, as it might be a little uncomfortable for him. If you do take him to the vet, and the vet wants to treat him for mites, Revolution is safe (don't let him use Ivermectin as it's caused deaths in the past.)
Old 02-13-2011, 10:35 PM   #3 (permalink)

thank you!!

He's two months

Old 02-13-2011, 11:11 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by live4fun162
thank you!!

He's two months
He might be quilling. I think they do go through a quilling stage at 8 or 9 weeks old.

Keep an eye on him and see if you can find new quills coming out.
Old 02-14-2011, 09:29 PM   #5 (permalink)

yes, I do see new quills coming in, his skin is just so much dryer than it was last round :P
I took him to the vet and she thought that he could be having an allergic reaction to his fleece bedding that is just now showing? I've never heard of this, but any thoughts?

And also odd, I asked her if there was anything besides oil on his back to help with the dry skin, and she said that its good for their skin to be dry because of their African background and that I shouldn't continue with any oil...
Old 02-14-2011, 10:07 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by live4fun162
yes, I do see new quills coming in, his skin is just so much dryer than it was last round :P
I'm not sure how that got turned into a smiley face...
Old 02-15-2011, 11:22 AM   #7 (permalink)

One of my vets recommended a drop of fish oil for Jadyn's dry/itchy skin, it helps alot! Dr. Sodhi is also a holistic vet :P
Old 02-15-2011, 12:02 PM   #8 (permalink)

You may want to try flax seed oil instead. It has less of a smell, is easily washed away or distributed with water, and doesn't clog their pores as much. You could also try mixing a capsule of flax seed oil in with his food. My little guy had really dry sky when I first got him because of the low humidity in my apartment and quilling in general. Adding it to his food worked wonders for him.
Nebular is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-15-2011, 06:30 PM   #9 (permalink)

thank you!
Old 02-16-2011, 10:53 PM   #10 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to lmashbri6983 Send a message via MSN to lmashbri6983 Send a message via Yahoo to lmashbri6983

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nebular
You may want to try flax seed oil instead. It has less of a smell, is easily washed away or distributed with water, and doesn't clog their pores as much. You could also try mixing a capsule of flax seed oil in with his food. My little guy had really dry sky when I first got him because of the low humidity in my apartment and quilling in general. Adding it to his food worked wonders for him.
I just bought some flaxseed oil for my hedgie who's got a crazy case of dry skin but I'm wondering, how often would I add a capsule to her food? She's got a small bowl of food, I'd say when it's full it's about 1 1/2 cups worth of dry cat food. I havent added anything to her food yet and dont know how often to add, if I should just drizzle it over the top or mix it in, ...?

lmashbri6983 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in