Cutting nails - Techniques? - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-12-2011, 03:34 PM   #1 (permalink)

Unhappy Cutting nails - Techniques?

So it seems my hedgie's nails have grown too long, as he is cutting back his excersise. I trimmed two long nails on his hind legs the other night, but couldn't get anymore as two was his limit. Anyways, I shall try the same way I did the other night; but for the sake of it possibly backfiring, what are some ways you got your hedgie to relax while cutting his/her nails?
Gibbz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-12-2011, 03:55 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: Cutting nails - Techniques?

Here's a link you can check out with some good ways to try it
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=9363&p=80249&hilit=nail+trimmi ng#p80249

It can be stressful but after you try a few times you will get more confident and feel better about it. Good luck
Old 02-12-2011, 04:42 PM   #3 (permalink)

...and expect to cut a quick. You always hear that everyone does it at least once but you never think it will happen to you.

Today was my day, apparently. I was being very careful & had a death grip on that slippery little foot but...still...poor Snarf.

A couple lessons?
- vets are right - the human suffers WAAAAAY more than the hedgie
- there will seem like a lot more blood in the water
- speaking of water...if you don't want your hedgie to ball up, you need to have enough water in the sink/tub...otherwise, they CAN & do ball up and make a 30 second job take 10 bloody (literally) minutes...<sigh>...

Old 02-14-2011, 10:10 PM   #4 (permalink)

A tip I picked up somewhere is if you have something like a cage or a playpen hold it up and allow your hedgie to rest on top of it. The caging is awkward for a hedgehog to walk on so its legs will naturally fall through. When this happens you just grab them and clip them real quick! It works well with two people but the only way I can do it with Opus because he's such a grouch otherwise!

Good luck!
Almonds is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-15-2011, 03:21 AM   #5 (permalink)

I usually put a favourite blanket on my lap, flip her over, and hold her steady in one hand while holding her against my leg kind of... Dunno if that makes sense. :P She doesn't seem to mind it to much, I just have to repeat "It's okay, everything is okay" a million times. Haha. She'll just start to stare at me towards to the end and not wiggle a bit. I've only cut the quick a teeeny bit once before. Didn't realize it was bleeding until I was on the other foot.
Ophelia is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-15-2011, 09:06 AM   #6 (permalink)

Norman hates being on his back, so I can't flip him over and just grab his little feet. He quickly squirms and rights himself. I've found the easiest way to do his nails is to let him lie on my lap and wait for him to either stick a food out while he's covered, or wait until he's good and sleep. If he's really sleepy, he either doesn't notice or is still relaxed/tired to care what's going on so I can typically get a few nails done before he catches on. Trimming his nails usually takes me a couple of days.
Nebular is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-15-2011, 10:12 AM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nebular
Norman hates being on his back, so I can't flip him over and just grab his little feet. He quickly squirms and rights himself. I've found the easiest way to do his nails is to let him lie on my lap and wait for him to either stick a food out while he's covered, or wait until he's good and sleep. If he's really sleepy, he either doesn't notice or is still relaxed/tired to care what's going on so I can typically get a few nails done before he catches on. Trimming his nails usually takes me a couple of days.
That's how I tried to do it...sometimes sat stock still aaaaall afternoon. But Snarf caught on...now he's all suspicious and eyes me from under his visor the entire time.
Old 02-15-2011, 01:39 PM   #8 (permalink)

I like to roll Liam up "burrito style" in a small towel after a food bath and get it done that way. I put him on top of the towel, drape the sides over him, hold the burrito to my chest with my left hand/arm, finagle a leg out with my right hand, then hold the foot with my left and clip with my right. Then I turn him around to do the front paws. Does that make sense? You can reverse the hand positioning if you're a leftie.

This method has been the best for me because when he's all wrapped up like that, it makes him feel more secure and he doesn't try to run away, plus with the towel wrapped around him it makes it a bit harder to ball up. Plus, he HATES the water so much that I think he's just happy to be in a warm towel instead, even if I am clipping his nails!

Anyways, hope this helps! From what I gather, nail clipping is really dependent on the hedgie - and if you find something that works for you, go with it!

cylaura is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-15-2011, 04:16 PM   #9 (permalink)

All the above advice sounds great and all, but my tactic is usually:

Grab pig.
Note which nails need cut.
Yell to kid to find the clippers quick while she is calm.
Realize she can tell by the look in my eyes what is about to happen.
Struggle - her.
Whine - me.
Curl - her.
Beg - me.
Dart in and grab a leg and promptly get pricked dropping leg.
Pop - her.
Snarl - me.
Beg a little more - me.
Grab a leg and cut one nail about one millionth of an inch shorter than it was.
Sigh heavily - me.
Get the "What the heck? I really despise you." look.
Struggle - her.
Whine - me.
Give in and vow to try again in a week - me.
**** no - her.

Priscilla AKA "Hissy Pants"
abrowndog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-16-2011, 01:37 PM   #10 (permalink)

My darling is a pistol! I am a new hog momma and so my first time was a HUGE learning experience! I will say that I do all the nail trimming for my felines in the house, so I have some pet experience trimming nails. That really didn't seem to matter with Tiggy though!

FINALLY! I had my daughter continually feed her little pieces of chicken I cooked for her .... and while she was busy feeding her empty tummy I cut all four feet!!! We all walked away winners...... she had a full tummy and I cut all her toenails!! TADA!

She loves to eat!!!! Thank goodness!

Things might be entirely different NEXT time I cut her nails!!!
Good luck everyone!

KathyTNY
They set off together down the path to return the fresh laundry to the little animals and birds in the neighbourhood. Lucie mounts the stile and turns to thank Mrs. Tiggy-winkle. "But what a very odd thing!" Mrs. Tiggy-winkle is running running running up the hill. Her cap, shawl, and print gown are nowhere to be seen. How small and brown she has grown and covered with prickles! "Why! Mrs. Tiggy-winkle is nothing but a HEDGEHOG!"

Beatrix Potter - The Tale of Mrs. Tiggy Winkle
KathyTNY is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in