Hedgie has always been itchy / flaky... - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-11-2011, 08:48 PM   #1 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to lmashbri6983 Send a message via MSN to lmashbri6983 Send a message via Yahoo to lmashbri6983
Default Hedgie has always been itchy / flaky...

I had adopted my hedgie Layla from a gal that couldnt take care of her anymore. Ever since I got her, she's been itchy and a bit flaky, especially after I give her a bath. I was using baby shampoo, which I now know will actually dry out their skin more, and just a few days ago started using Aveeno with oatmeal to try to get Layla a little less itchy/flaky. I've been reading up on the flakiness and that it can mean mites, so what can I do to rule out other possibilities, or should I just take her to a vet? I notice her scratching when she's had a bath that day, and I've been giving her a bath just about every 3-4 weeks. I want to do my best to try to fix the problem, but I dont know if she's just dried out or might have a mite problem... and if she does have mites, is a vet absolutely necessary, or would getting some Revolution work just as well?

lmashbri6983 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-11-2011, 09:06 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: Hedgie has always been itchy / flaky...

Have you noticed bald spots? Have you noticed an abundance of quill loss, with no sight of new quills poking through her skin?

If you answered "yes", then you need to take her to the vets and get some kitten Revolution.

Because you just recently got her, IMO, you should take her to the vet. You know what is needed to treat mites, and the basic care. This will allow you to see just how well informed your vet may be, and how well you can trust them for future care.

Also, sometimes, the Revolution you can buy online may not have been properly handled and kept. So it's a may or may not work kind of deal.

If you answered "no" above, then you may want to try some flax seed oil. Most people feed 1 capsule every week as a maintenance dose, or 1 capsule every 3-4 days for very dry skin. Also, you can pop open 1 capsule, empty into a small cup, fill cup with warm water, and pour over her back to help hydrate and moistureize. The oil rinse, you can give her every 2-4 weeks until her skin is better.
Immortalia is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-11-2011, 09:31 PM   #3 (permalink)

I heard olive oil applied to the hog is good for dry skin. Its on youtube. Quality quills is the persons user name

Old 02-11-2011, 11:27 PM   #4 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake
I heard olive oil applied to the hog is good for dry skin. Its on youtube. Quality quills is the persons user name
Olive oil can be used, but flaxseed oil is preferred because it's water-soluble and it won't clog up pores like olive oil can. Also, keep in mind that youtube isn't exactly an ideal source of information on hedgehogs.

RIP my sweet Lily ~ 6/12/08 - 1/20/12
Lilysmommy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-12-2011, 05:59 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilysmommy
Quote:
Olive oil can be used, but flaxseed oil is preferred because it's water-soluble and it won't clog up pores like olive oil can. Also, keep in mind that youtube isn't exactly an ideal source of information on hedgehogs.

I feel like I also heard that olive oil can cause a smell after a while...you might also want to look into Sunshine Factor (supplement for birds), a lot of people have good results with it. I just switched to it, Gin has very dry, flaky skin (but never itches) and flaxseed I think has done all it can do

HedgehogsAnonymous is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-12-2011, 09:45 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by HedgehogsAnonymous
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilysmommy
Quote:

I feel like I also heard that olive oil can cause a smell after a while...you might also want to look into Sunshine Factor (supplement for birds), a lot of people have good results with it. I just switched to it, Gin has very dry, flaky skin (but never itches) and flaxseed I think has done all it can do
sunshine factor is great and most hedgies seem to like it. It is used as a supplement.

If you're adding something directly to the skin, use flax seed oil and not olive oil. Olive oil will clog the pores and cause more distress. Both flax seed and olive oil can be added to the food though.
silvercat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in