Please help!!! =( - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-27-2014, 08:57 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Please help!!! =(

My hedgie is acting so strange and I don't know what to do! This is the second night in a row! Last night, I went to take him out of his cage and i removed his igloo off of him as I always do and he was hissing and popping and not the happiest of campers. He again did this tonight. He calmed down both times enough for me to pick him up and put him down on the fleece blanket that I let him run around on. Once on the blanket he is fine for all of 5 minutes and then all **** breaks loose and he freaks out! =(

I have him out right now and he is hissing and popping everytime I move. I have him in his fleece pouch on my lap and he won't stop popping!! He seems to be shaking his head as well, almost as if there is something he is trying to get off.

I have noticed that over the past week or so that he has been losing some quills and itching, so I don't know if it could be mites and that is why he is freaking out or what is happening!

He will not eat, I even tired feeding him some banana which he normally loves and eats right away. He had a few sips of water and that was it.

I tried bringing him in a different room then I normally bring him out in, thinking maybe something spooked him in the other room, but nothing is helping!

The only thing that is different is the scent bulb that my mom plugged into the wall. It is a bit strong being it is only the second day it has been plugged in. He is sniffing the air an awful lot and I am not sure if that is just due to the fact that he is in a different room.

I made a vet appointment for him tomorrow morning because I am really worried that something serious is wrong.

Someone please help!!!!
JLB92 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-27-2014, 09:25 PM   #2 (permalink)

Hedgehogs are very sensitive toward smell. Some they like and some they don't. Still, anything different can send a hedgehogs off the walls. How old is he? He could be losing quills due to quilling, or it could be mites. Do a test for mites yourself. Not eating is never good, but has he eaten any of his food? Count the amount of food at night and in the morning. If he truly isn't then yes, it could be a health problem.
Teddi4211 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-27-2014, 10:39 PM   #3 (permalink)

Thank you for responding,Teddi421. I was told he was 8-12weeks when I got him which was mid August so to be honest, I am not quite sure of his exact age. When I first brought him to the vet a week after getting him, I was told he was probably closer to 12weeks old.

He ate a bit last night, so tonight I put a little less food in his bowl to see how much he will actually eat tonight. I tried to feed him a dried mealworm tonight and he ate it but didn't seem interested in it like he normally is. I also unplugged the scent bulb to see if that will make a difference.

I am still new to owning and caring for a hedgehog, so how exactly would I do a mite test myself? =/

Also, the skin behind his ears, under his fur, seems to be a little more pink then usual, but I didn't see any bumps or raw skin.

He wouldn't even let me hold him tonight. Normally, he lays on my lap calmly but he just wanted to basically run away from me like last night.

Old 10-27-2014, 10:46 PM   #4 (permalink)
Administrator

A sudden change in behaviour can be a sign or injury or illness. You might want to consider a vet check to be sure.

http://www.quillsnthings.webs.com
nikki is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-27-2014, 11:02 PM   #5 (permalink)

Hey Nikki,
I made a vet appointment for tomorrow, so hopefully they are able to figure out why my little guy is acting so strange.

I can hear him running on his wheel, so he is still active, just doesn't seem okay for him to be acting this way.

Thank you for responding!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in