Help, vomiting hedgehog! - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-04-2011, 11:49 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Help, vomiting hedgehog!

A few minutes ago, I put my hand into my hedgehog's cage and she climb right on it. I sat down on the floor and let her walk on me and my hands. When she was tucked in between my tummy and my arm in front of me, she vomited! I'm not sure what might have cause it but I am very very worried
Earlier tonight I cleaned out her cage, put in new liners (she didn't use to have liners, just paper shreds), cleaned and washed her food bowl and water dish. Also, since today, I've lessened the amount of kibble I leave on her food dish. I've been away for 2 days and upon coming back home, I've noticed she's grown heavier than I expected. So I decided to give her less. She's also on Revolution medication. Today was her 2nd dosage. I applied it between her shoulder blades before putting her back into her now clean cage.
Could any of these have caused the vomiting? Should I wait 24 more hours to see if she vomits again before I bring her to the vet? Please help, I'm really worried.
Also, in another post, I mentioned I observe some kind of jerking but I haven't seen her do it since.
What could this be? Is she sick? Does she want me to give more food again? Please help Thanks.
coreeenie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-04-2011, 12:11 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: Help, vomiting hedgehog!

She needs to go to the vet. Vomiting can be quite serious. But don't panic! (I know I would be going nuts in your situation!) It is possible she has some sort of bacterial infection. I doubt it has to do with your reducing her number of kibble. Have you changed her food at all?
It sounds like you are doing a great job with her though!
But yes, she definitely needs to see a vet.
Old 02-04-2011, 12:24 PM   #3 (permalink)

Oh my I'm so worried ( It's 12AM here and I can't sleep. Will she make it through the night? The vet opens at 7AM tomorrow so I'll only be able to bring her then. Would you know if there's anything I can do in the meantime?
It's so odd cus she was acting like nothing was wrong around 4 hours ago. She was running and climbing. She even pooped about 2 hours ago and peed just 10 minutes ago.
She threw up just a second ago as I was typing my previous sentence! It seems she's throwing up everything she's eaten. What am I going to doo? (

Old 02-04-2011, 12:30 PM   #4 (permalink)

First - Breathe!!!
Is she drinking water?
My instinct, if she is vomiting whenever she eats, is to take her food out. But I am not an expert.
What are you feeding her? is it possible that the food has gone off and it is upsetting her tummy?
It is a good sign that she is still active and running around, doing her little hedgie-thing and acting like her normal self.
Can you call the vet and leave a message so they call you first thing when they open? I had to do that once for Pliny, and they got me in right away.
another option, if you are frantic, is to see if there is a 24-hour emergency vet in your area.
For the time being, give her lots of cuddles, keep her warm - you might want to up the temperature in her living area - and try to stay calm.
Hopefully someone very experienced like Nancy, Nikki or LG will be along shortly.
Old 02-04-2011, 12:57 PM   #5 (permalink)

I hope she is doing ok! Please keep us updated on what you learn at the vet. Hopefully it is just a virus and she will be ok. I am adding a link just in case she chokes on her vomit so you know what to do. Hopefully this won't happen, but its good to be prepared just in case
https://hedgehogcentral.com/forums/vi...php?f=5&t=2480

Also, who was caring for her while you were gone the past two days? Maybe you can ask them some questions to help determine the problem or when she started to get sick. Was she wheeling normally? Did they replace the food and water fresh each day? Did they give any treats? Was her poop/pee normal? Those are just a few things I would be curious about, but right not the priority is the vet.

Keeping you both in my thoughts
Old 02-04-2011, 01:04 PM   #6 (permalink)

She vomited again on my lap. I tried calling the nearest 24 hour emergency pet clinic but no one's answering. I'm panicking like crazy. Now she's just lying on her mat with her arms stretched out. I'm crying I don't know what to do. I'm sorry I'm just typing as I chekc on her I don't edit my posts anymore.
Checked on her, she stood up and drank some water then she walked into her house.
Paper shreds were obstructing my view of her so I reached in to move some out of the way. As she always does, she huffed a bit and her quills stiffened. But after seeing/smelling my hand, she relaxed and stretched out to lay her head on the box again. Now she's sleeping in her box.
Old 02-04-2011, 01:17 PM   #7 (permalink)

Personally I've never found a 24hr vet any help, the staff aren't trained to deal with any specialties.

Keep calm, breathe and talk with your hedgie until you can talk to a vet that knows what they are doing.

Drink some hot tea, that's why my vets give me to calm down. (I have a cat with a chronic scary condition and know the fear you are experiencing right now)

Also my Daisy had a vomitting scare/fit last year after she ate some of her bedding, I was quite worried,and freaking out here too, as long as she doesn't appear to be in any distress breathing/moving it should be ok.
zorropirate is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-04-2011, 01:26 PM   #8 (permalink)

How was it? Did she vomit much? She's now asleep, I don't wanna wake her, it might induce more vomiting or something. Before she walked into her box, she seemed really tired, and didn't seem to care if I lifted her off my lap. But then she stood up on her own and walked on her own, so I thought that's at least a sign she's still mobile. Her breathing's pretty normal too. Around 2 cycles of inhale-exhale in 3 seconds. I guess I'll have to wake up in between my sleep to check on her before I could take her to the vet.
Thank you for replying. You people are keeping me sane at this indecent hour thanks v much
Old 02-04-2011, 01:37 PM   #9 (permalink)

You go sleep...it's 10:30am here and I am doing laundry and have lots of time to worry, so I will do it for you.
Old 02-04-2011, 01:46 PM   #10 (permalink)

I can't sleep Should I leave some food? Or should I wait till after the vet visit? I'll just leave water and try to keep her warm. 5 more hours....

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in