Still sick...runny nose and sneezing - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-22-2014, 02:49 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Still sick...runny nose and sneezing

So my hedgehog is still sick
I went with him to vet for second time and we repeated Enrofloxacin but now for 7 days. Last time we gave him was yesterday, but he still sounds pretty bad. His nose is very runny and sneezing sounds worse. He is eating his food every night which is good but he is not walking to much at night and he is not using his wheel. We gave him Enrofloxacin with injection again because when we come to vet he just curls up in ball and we can't even see his face. Vet left me for 5 min and hedge was again normal but when vet walked in room again he again curled up in ball.
I am from Croatia so vets don't know anything about these animals or how to treat them so we could use help .
pacilimbus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-22-2014, 05:19 PM   #2 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Silly hedgie, the vet is just trying to help you! I'm sorry he's still not feeling good. I haven't experienced URIs with hedgies, but I've seen both Kalandra and Nancy comment that if the first antibiotic tried isn't helping, it can be a good idea to try and get a swab from their nose to culture to find the specific cause of the URI. Then the vet can make a better call for a specific antibiotic to use to solve the problem. Otherwise you can spend a lot more money trying multiple antibiotics that may not completely fix the URI.

When you're at the vet, try taking some favorite treats to see if you can bribe him into staying out of a ball with the vet in the room. It'd be best to have the vet get a better look at him without any extra help, but some other measures that get used are putting hedgie in a bowl of warm water (and you'll want to take extra care to make sure it's warm since he's already sick - you don't want him to get chilled and make it worse) so that he won't ball up, or giving him a little bit of anesthetic to make him sleepy so he won't ball up. That option might also be a bit risky since he's already having breathing troubles, so your vet will have to say whether that's a good idea or not.

Good luck and keep us updated. I hope you guys can get your hedgie feeling better soon!

RIP my sweet Lily ~ 6/12/08 - 1/20/12
Lilysmommy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-22-2014, 06:19 PM   #3 (permalink)

Thank you for reply I have some question. Is it ok to not go to the vet till end of week. Because the vet told me to come on monday and wait to see if he is starting to feel better. Do you think i should wait or call him and go tomorow?
pacilimbus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in