Possible Cold / URI - Hedgehog Central – Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-30-2011, 04:56 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Possible Cold / URI

So I got my little Jose about a week and a half ago, and he looked good right off the bat, but at nights from day 1 I noticed a little bit of what sounded like sneezing. I did research and read a bunch of different things about how it could be allergies or just a new home thing so I wasn't worried.

At the time, for the first week I had carefresh in there so I know maybe the dust particles from it could have spurred alergies up and I switched to fleece 3 days ago. He is beginning to sneeze a little more, I had him out last night so i could try to see a close up of his nose, it was wet but I didnt see any mucus or anything.

Regardless of what this may or may not be, I'm taking him to the vet either tomorrow or tuesday and I just wanted ll of your opinions on A - What this could be "i'm guessing a cold" and B- If it is a cold, will he be ok for another day possibly 2 before I get my vet appt?

The main reason is because a normal vet. appt here is 60 bucks with no work or meds, just to look at him. It's usually a 2-3 day wait, for same day emergency it is easily double, just to look at him which would really kill my bank account . So I just want to make sure he will be ok another day or two being that it doesnt seem too serious yet.

P.S. He is still eating and drinking at night and walking around normally, so he isn't looking in dire need or anything, Eyes are clear. My only worry is the excessive sneezing and the wet nose / nose licking.
Greg0r13 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-30-2011, 06:07 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: Possible Cold / URI

My Basil has just gone through the same thing. (Wet nose, licking, sneezing, snot bubbles.) I would get him to a vet as soon as possible. My vet gave Basil an antibiotic shot plus some oral meds that I mix in wet cat food. Get him in to the doc ASAP, these little guys go down hill really quick and pneumonia is deadly.
Old 01-30-2011, 10:47 PM   #3 (permalink)

As Victoria said, take her to the vet asap. My Mustard had a nasty URI a little while ago and seriously, one day she seemed fine except for some nose licking, the next day she was blowing bubbles out of her nose and very dehydrated. They go downhill very quick.

If you can't get her to the vet tomorrow, make sure she is eating and drinking until Tuesday.

Old 01-31-2011, 06:01 PM   #4 (permalink)

Jose is going in to the vet in 1 hour, he was eating and drinking last night so he's still moving at least. No snot bubbles yet or anything, just sneezing and licking so hopefully he just needs a little medicine. I'll let everyone know how it goes.
Old 01-31-2011, 09:34 PM   #5 (permalink)

How did the vet go?
Old 02-01-2011, 08:17 PM   #6 (permalink)

She said it was a cold, pre-URI so it wasnt terrible yet. Jose wouldnt let them near him, he just curled up and was fussy, but as soon as i put my hand down to him and he smelled it, he opend right up haha .

Anyway she gave me Enrofloxacin and I need to give it to him once a day for 14 days. Has anyone used this stuff before? I gave him his first dose immediately and he doesnt mind it because it's chicken flavored. He slept for about 2-3 hours after I gave it to him and when he woke up ate an entire bowl of food. So It looks like his appetite is 100% back. Also when he woke up today, he was still sneezing some "not as much" but it sounded much much dryer as if the phlegm was almost gone. Also he was much more active today than in the past few days digging and trying to burrow in my sleeves and everything, so hopefully everything keeps improving .
Old 02-01-2011, 08:22 PM   #7 (permalink)

Glad to hear Jose is in the route to recovery!

The medicine he is taking is Baytril, commonly chosen to treat URI in hedgehogs. My Mustard took it last time she had a URI and it seems to be pretty harsh on their tummies so expect some green poop.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central – Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in