Hedgehog Central banner

Help please

558 views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  _cailin_ 
#1 ·
Hi, i recently got a hoglet just a few weeks ago from a nearby breeder and everythings been fine, but i just recently noticed for the past few days my hoggie has been having diarrhea and drinking a bit more that usual. She is just over 2 months old if that helps and is on the same food that the breeder was feeding her before hand. Im a new owner and just want a couple of tips or answers :)

#2 ·
I would take a poop sample to the vet to see if she has an intestinal infection causing the diarrhea. That's good that she's drinking more, she needs to stay hydrated. Dehydration is the biggest risk of diarrhea, so keep an eye on that. You can test either by looking at color of urine (dark or bright yellow = dehydrated) or by doing a pinch test, pinching together her skin in between her shoulders. If it takes longer than 1 second to unfold & go back to normal, she's dehydrated. If she does end up dehydrated, you may need to syringe her water, or take her in to the vet for some fluids.

#3 ·
Great, thanks for the reply :) there was probably other posts like this but i couldnt find one that gave me the excact answer i was looking for. Her urine is just normal coloured and doesnt really give me a cause for concern. I'll try the shoulder test when she is awake and i'll see if i can get a sample into the vets in the next few days! Thanks for the help! :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.