Nails - Hedgehog Central – Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-26-2011, 09:31 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Nails

I know people have asked this but I haven't seen an answer that has worked so I'm gonna put it out there again. Hazel WILL NOT let me cut her nails. I have tried just about everything I can think of. I've tried in a foot bath but she balls and I don't want her in inhale water and get a URI, I've try t unball her as much as I can but those muscles are strong. I've tried to "sneak" up on her and get them but she is too smart and balls and soon as she senses me coming. I've had a couple relaxed nights with her but she just sleeps and I don't want her to get mad and not want me to take her out cause she thinks I'm going to cut her nails....HELP
The couple times we've had a relaxed nights are not a usual thing so I think I have a loving but grumpy little girl on my hands. I have to say I'm a bit disappointed that she doesn't SEEM to want to be with me since with every move I make I get a huff and ball of quills. I still love her though!!!!

As it is it appears an almost nightly foot bath might be in order. She has really been getting bad poopy boots and I'm afraid she's going to be very upset with me because of that. YIKES

mcwojo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-26-2011, 10:18 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: Nails

If it makes you feel any better...I am in the same boat with Snarf. Luckily, his are growing straight out and not curling downwards and they aren't getting any longer but...still...I want to trim them!! Have tried everything...scruffing is the only option and even that's 'iffy' as he doesn't like to be touched when he's not covered, so he curls up as soon as your hand is near and you can't really scruff a balled up hedgie...sigh...

Ditto for the poopy boots. I put a fairly rough, old towel in the tub and dampened it a bit, along with a couple crickets (no water, of course ) and let him roam around. He was better than usual tho' he was so intent on escaping he ignored the crickets. But at least his feet got a little cleaner.

I feel your pain.
Old 01-27-2011, 07:07 AM   #3 (permalink)

One of my girls, Pete, hates having her nails trimmed and gives me the hardest time to do so. I've found two things that work for me:

- I put her in the sink without water, and do it. She is so afraid of the sink and baths that she will just try to escape and forgets to ball up. I don't really like doing this way because she gets very nervous, but sometimes it's necessary.

- I can scruff her and my boyfriend does the nail clipping.

Good luck!

Old 01-27-2011, 08:41 AM   #4 (permalink)

How do you scruff? If it is picking them up by the scruff of their neck I tried that but she still seems to be able to get those feet in so I can't get to the them. Her nails are growing straight too but as Miss C says, I really want to get them cut. I will try the wet cloth and some mealies. I haven't tried crickets for her yet.
Thank you

Old 01-27-2011, 08:48 AM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcwojo
How do you scruff? If it is picking them up by the scruff of their neck I tried that but she still seems to be able to get those feet in so I can't get to the them. Her nails are growing straight too but as Miss C says, I really want to get them cut. I will try the wet cloth and some mealies. I haven't tried crickets for her yet.
Thank you
Take a look at this thread:

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=7465&p=62898&hilit=how+to+scru ff#p62898

I think if she's being able to get her feet in then you're not grabbing it right. I don't know.

I've read some people wrapping their hedgie like a burrito, with their feet sticking out, and trimming like that. That might be a two people job though.
Old 01-27-2011, 10:47 AM   #6 (permalink)

The times I've clipped Liam's nails, I've found the "burrito method" works best. I give him a foot bath first, but he doesn't love the water, so I find it too difficult to get a good hold on him to clip then. So, after I take him out I wrap him up in a towel and dry him off. Then I wrap the towel around him burrito-style, covering up as much of his head as possible. As gently as I can, I finagle a foot out. I usually hold him against me and grip the foot with one hand, and use the clippers with the other. It usually takes a few tries (he doesn't like me grabbing his feet and I don't want to grab too hard since they're fragile) but eventually we get it done. For me, wrapping Liam up seems to calm him, and he doesnt mind being confined too much. I've been able to get it done myself, but an extra pair of hands wouldn't hurt if you have them.

I hope this helps and is somewhat clear! Don't fret - you'll get it done, even if it's just a couple nails per day!

cylaura is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-27-2011, 01:37 PM   #7 (permalink)

OK, I tried the moist towel and scruffing with NO success. She pooped all over the towel and walked in that. I couldn't scruff her to save my life. She was dropping quills like crazy (keep in mind that she is 11 1/2 wks old) like about 20 quills. I did look and see no sign of any critters crawling around. I am just so frustrated beyond frustration
I usually come home from work at 4:30 and then get Hazel and snuggle from anywhere between 7 and 9. I had her out after trying to clean her feet and clip her nails and she seemed to come around a little bit sticking her head up sniffing and walking around. I offered her a little apple and she didn't want anything to do with it. (I'm home from work today so I'm able to do this during the day today) ANY time I moved or tried to pet her she huffed, jumped and balled up. I guess I'm just wondering if any or ALL of this is normal. I think I need a little pep talk

Old 01-30-2011, 09:57 PM   #8 (permalink)

Eureka!!!! Success....I got three nails cut tonight. I had to hold Hazel kinda backwards and try to get her to open up and her little feet stuck out just enough for me to get the nails that I could. I didn't want to stress her out too much so I left it at that. She didn't seem too worse for ware as she went right to her food and started eating!
My daughter was trying to help and she held her in such a way that I actually saw her little front teeth for the first time. Too cute! They kinda look like little vampires with those sharp toofers

Old 01-31-2011, 09:39 AM   #9 (permalink)

Congrats! I know nail trimming can be really frustrating, my Zoé hates it too and it`s a battle to cut one or two at a time. But strangely, she`s always extra snuggly after. I guess the struggle just tires her out.

I also wanted to tell you to hang in there and keep working with Hazel, you`re doing good. You`ve only had her for a month and a half, it`s not abnormal for her to still huff and ball up when you move. It took my Zoé at least 3 months to be somewhat confortable with me and at least 6 months before she let me pet her (a little, not everywhere and only when she feels like it). Hazel will also probably be less grumpy after she`s done quilling.

Olympia is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-31-2011, 10:06 AM   #10 (permalink)

Congratulations! I'm so glad you were able to get it done. It's definitely one of the trickiest parts of hedgie ownership (at least that I've found) - so nice work!

cylaura is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central – Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in