help he is peeing alot - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-13-2014, 10:39 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default help he is peeing alot

My son got a new hedgehog Saturday, to night he started peeing alot, the only vet who will see him with in 50 miles says it is normal for them to pee alot
tammy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-13-2014, 10:54 PM   #2 (permalink)

How old is the hedgehog? Babies are poop and pee machines. So long as he's drinking and the urine is a normal color with no pink or red in it, I wouldn't be worried.
shinydistraction is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-13-2014, 10:56 PM   #3 (permalink)

I'm always amazed at how much they can pee. It's a lot! Seems like it is more than can fit in there body.
DesireeM81 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2014, 10:57 PM   #4 (permalink)

No kidding! And the amount and size of their poops! You'd think they were hollow inside.
DesireeM81 likes this.
shinydistraction is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-14-2014, 05:21 AM   #5 (permalink)

He is 4 months, he wasn't peeing as much before, his poop is a little soft to not diarrhea is a dark green close to brown
Old 10-14-2014, 05:42 AM   #6 (permalink)

This is are first time having one, and we seemed to pick a very picky one, he is allergic to the paper shaving and wood shaving, so after finding that out he is now on cloth, 72 is to cold for him even with a heat lamp, so he has a heating pad he spends most of the time there, he is very sweet, and very tame, we got him at a pet store, we could find a breeder close to us, i thought I read enough and know enough but this little guy worries me to death, he had a little cold that the vet said he didn't want to treat and wait a day a see if he gets better,but it only been 2 days without run nose, and sneezing, he is still is playing, just not like before he gets up plays, then sleeps for a while, he is eating and drink,I kept getting up to check on him tonight most of the time he was sleeping under his wheel,
Old 10-14-2014, 05:50 AM   #7 (permalink)

There is no blood in his poop, just a lot of pee, i change his bedding 2 a day, he doesn't always use his potty spot, and most of the time it's not bad, but today I have changed it 6 time, and it is very wet, the first time I thought he spilled his water there was so much
Old 10-14-2014, 11:23 AM   #8 (permalink)
Super Moderator

It could be that he's settled in enough to start drinking more, so he's peeing more. But I would keep an eye on it, with a sudden change like that. Can you see the color of the urine? What kind of bedding are you using? If you're using a loose bedding, try switching to a white pillow case, flannel baby blanket, or piece of fleece, so you can see the color of his urine. You can also use paper towels if you don't have anything else. If he's drinking a lot & not dehydrated, it should be light yellow, if he's dehydrated, it'll be bright or dark yellow. Brownish or orangish urine would indicate there might be blood present.

A couple other comments - What kind of heating lamp do you have for him? What wattage is the heating bulb? Is it a ceramic heat emitter bulb (only gives off heat, no light) or is it a colored reptile heating light?

The temperature needs to be higher than 72*, especially if you've already found out that's not warm enough for him. A heating pad added isn't good enough, as he'll spend his time on that instead of moving around normally. Heating pads can actually make things worse, when they move from the warmer spot by the pad to the cooler part of the cage. If his heating lamp isn't keeping his cage warm enough, you need to adjust the thermostat (and if you don't have a thermostat, you need one), or you need a stronger bulb.

I would also keep a very close eye on him for further signs of sniffling, sneezing, or raspy breathing. I have to admit to disagreeing with the vet's reluctance to treat him for a cold. Hedgehog URIs don't go away without medication, and left untreated, can turn into pneumonia, which is deadly. It's possible that your little guy was just a bit sniffly from being too cold, but if he has an actual URI, he will need to be treated.

RIP my sweet Lily ~ 6/12/08 - 1/20/12
Lilysmommy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-14-2014, 04:57 PM   #9 (permalink)

heat lamp is one from the pet store when we got him it's a 25 night heat lamp, we was using the paper from pet store, that seemed to bug him so we are felt right now, his pee is clear just lot, when I got home he sneezed a few time,but he just seems really weak,
Old 10-14-2014, 04:59 PM   #10 (permalink)

This is our first one, i do know someone else got one a the same pet shop and it died,they was there get a diff one when we got ours

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in