Hedgie threw up and doesn't eat - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By december
  • 1 Post By december

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-09-2014, 07:17 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Hedgie threw up and doesn't eat

First of all I'd like to say hello to everyone on the forum, since it's my first post here. I wish it was a post on a happy thing but unfortunately is about something that made me feel worried and I would be grateful for any help. I have been having my girl for a month now (she's a bit more than three months old, thus still a baby) and everything had been just fine until yesterday's night, when she threw up. But, I'm gonna start the story from the very beginning.

I always refill Purin's food bowl in the evening since it's the time when she is the most active. I usually do it once 24h but if she has a very good appetite, I do it twice. On Wednesday (Oct. 8th) I gave her food, as always (hedgie food mixed with amino jelly and some vitamins). When I woke up next morning, around 6am the bowl was already empty, so I made her
another portion. I went to work and got back home around half past 7pm and the bowl was empty again, which means she was having a very good appetite. I took her out of the cage and treated her two dry mealies, then she'd sleep in her snuggle bed on my chest. When she was still in her bag, but moving around I gave her one more, which she ate, and i tried to lure her out of the bag with the last one, but she suddenly lost her interest in mealies at all, which is very unusual, since she loves them. Then I have noticed a yellow piece of wet something in the bag and i thought it looks like a vomit. Pu was still in her bag, sitting at the very end of it, showing me her back. After a moment she moved towards me and then I saw her throwing up small amounts of vomit around four times more. She did not make any sound while throwing up and the vomit was the same yellowish color as before. When she stopped she seemed to feel much better as she went out of the bag, pooed on me two times (the poo was normal), explored me a bit and went to sleep on my shoulder. I thought she must have swallowed a piece of mealie that was too big and that caused vomiting. After some time, I put her back in her box because it was already 12am and i needed to go to sleep soon. I washed the bag (found more vomit at the end of it), looked online about vomiting hedgies a bit, changed her water and made a new meal. I went to sleep. Woke up today, Friday the 10th at 6 30 and she hasn't touched her food. Not sure about the water but probably not as well since it looked like she didn't come out to play during the night. There were no poo, her wheel was stopped at the same point it was yesterday. I took her out of her house and she was grumpy but uncurled pretty fast and moved around on me a bit. Tried to show her a lever hedgie snack, then one mealie again but she was not interested at all. I put her back in her box and now I'm on my way to work. If I come back at 7 30pm and see she didn't touch her food, I'm taking her to the vet on Saturday. But maybe somebody can tell me, advice me something now? I'll be grateful for any comments!

Ps. The time may sound strange to you, because I am writing from Japan, and there probably is a pretty big time difference.

Thank you for reading!
december is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-09-2014, 08:04 PM   #2 (permalink)

I agree the vet visit is in order. Hopefully it is just a small thing like an upset tummy. It sounds like she probably just overate, but I am not a vet. And ya, I figured you weren't from the future, lol. But for me, tomorrow is the 10th.

gracefulchaos01 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-10-2014, 06:56 AM   #3 (permalink)

Pu drank some water but didn't eat at all. She also acts a bit strange and definitely is too calm. Going to see a vet tomorrow morning...
gracefulchaos01 likes this.

Last edited by december; 10-10-2014 at 07:03 AM.

Old 10-12-2014, 06:32 AM   #4 (permalink)

Purin got an injection and some medicine from the vet who said that she probably ate too much. Yesterday i saw her eating and even though it was just a bit, still better than nothing! today she ate a bit as well and I've just made her a new, fresh meal. I found in her cage a bit slimy green poo, but still of quite a solid consistence so I hope it's just because of the shot she got yesterday.
gracefulchaos01 likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in