My Hedgie is sneezing - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-14-2011, 12:52 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default My Hedgie is sneezing

Hello Everyone!
I am new to hedgehog central and so far I love it. My question is that I just got my first hedgie about a week ago and since she has come home with me she has been sneezing. Not constantly but it's pretty regular. The third night she seemed a little off and would only open her eyes half way & started throwing up (three times in all), so being a new hedgie parent, I freaked out and took her to the closest Animal ER. When I got there the vet came out and said she knew nothing about hedgies and didnt know anything specific about their lifestyles so she gave me clavamox (antibiotic) and mixed some anti nausea meds in with it. Well that made her better but she still continues to sneeze every now and then and when she does mist comes out with it. I have made an appointment with a exotic animal vet but thats not until tomorrow, so I was wondering if anyone else has gone through a similar situation. Oh and by the way I got her from a pet shop and they didnt know exactly how old she was but said probably between 2 & 3 months. Thanks in advance for any help!

Old 01-14-2011, 01:00 PM   #2 (permalink)
Hooked on Hogs

Default Re: My Hedgie is sneezing

How long has she been on the Clavamox? Is the sneezing decreasing in frequency? Sometimes it takes numerous days for symptoms to start to clear up and to be gone completely. How many days dosage is on? If 10 days, you may find you have to up it to 14.

Is she eating well? If you are unsure, count her kibble so you know exactly. Kibble in her bed also helps if they aren't feeling well.

What about temperature. Often when sick they require a bit warmer environment.

She is adorable.

Retired from breeding

Rescue contact for both the Hedgehog Welfare Society and the IHA
Rescued over 70 (and counting) hedgehogs needing a new home

http://freewebs.com/thehedgieden/
Nancy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-14-2011, 01:11 PM   #3 (permalink)

Nancy gives the best advice, so I have nothing to add except welcome to HHC and Lady is super adorable! Hope she's feeling better soon.

Old 01-14-2011, 01:35 PM   #4 (permalink)

Thanks guys, I thinks she super adorable too! And I appreciate the warm welcome, I finally decided to register, after visiting this site at least 5 times a day since getting her!
Nancy: She has been on the clavamox since monday night so for basically 4 days. She is taking one drop twice a day, but I am a little confused about the length of how long to give it to her because on the bottle it says give until gone, but half the bottle is full and its ALOT for having to give two drops a day! And also the whole time I was at the vets office the assistant kept stressing to me that the prescription would expire in 10 days, so I was going to talk to the vet tomorrow to see if she could give some advice. She is eating well, she poops alot too, but she doesnt play for very long, and wont use her wheel (but she never has). I have been keeping it warm for her but find that she spreads out and seems hot so I am still trying to figure out her comfort zone. But I did almost mess up, the past three days I have been putting her in my laundry room where it is warm (when I wake up I turn my dryer on and when I leave I would open it to get it cozy), but I would turn off the lights....then yesterday I read a book on hedgies that said they need between 12-14 hours of light....I felt so terrible. This whole hibernating thing freaks me out so I am stressing about keeping her comfy! Also I have just been feeding her sunseed hedgie food but thanks to hedgehog central I am going to go get some chicken soup for the cat lovers soul after I get off work today!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in