Penis Spots? - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-13-2011, 10:46 PM   #1 (permalink)

Unhappy Penis Spots?

Hi,
I'm a long time lurker & learner, but haven't had reason to post anything yet as I've always found the answers to any Q's I might have up until now!

Ok, today I was feeding my 4 month Nicholas some of his favorite dessicated liver treats while he was cozy in his blanky. He seemed to start annointing his tummy, but upon closer inspection he was having a little gentleman's time to himself! I'm not worried about that, so much as the small whitish yellow dots on his penis. They don't seem to bother him, he eats, sleeps and wheels quite well, but having been through Sex Ed these spots worry me! They almost looked like small pustules, however I didn't get a very good look because he didn't enjoy being interrupted and balled up in the second that i had to see.

He had mites when we first brought him home, but since then has had 2 treatments with Revolution without any re-appearance of the mites.

Thank you very much for your time, and all the great advice I've read on these forms!

Kay
Kayw is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-15-2011, 12:09 AM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: Penis Spots?

He had his weiner out again tonight, and it's almost like a ridge of yellowish pustules down the front (under for him)....I don't know if they're hard or full of goo, I'm not that brave of a hedgie mom to interrupt boy time and see. I'm quite worried, he'll be going to the vet on Monday if no one can tell me if this is natural or not!
Old 01-15-2011, 12:21 AM   #3 (permalink)

Sorry...I can't help...but my rule is: If in doubt, he's off to the vet. It's an expensive rule but I sleep better at night.

Old 01-15-2011, 12:59 AM   #4 (permalink)

omg i hate to say this i can help i had the same thing with my boy pepper an i took him to the vet is it two white dot like thing on the tip lol
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Photo0239.jpg (18.7 KB, 367 views)
tonykunz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-15-2011, 04:24 PM   #5 (permalink)

Sort of, except these spots travel the length of the shaft. They're stationary, so they're not mites. At this point I'm concerned it may be a fungus and looking to get him into a vet today. It honestly looks like he has a horrible STD!
Old 01-17-2011, 09:29 PM   #6 (permalink)

bump

Deneen or Nancy, any ideas???

Breeding first and foremost for Health & Temperament
http://www.hedgehoggrove.com
Up to date News and Photos:
http://www.facebook.com/Hedgehog.Grove

http://www.hhgrescue.com
Facebook Page: http://www.facebook.com/HedgehogGroveRescue
Hedgehog Grove is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-27-2011, 03:50 PM   #7 (permalink)

Since you got him checked out at the vet did they say anything? I noticed yesterday my little hedgie had similar spots around the base of his shaft and immediately thought of this post. Is it anything I should be concerned about?
Almonds is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-27-2011, 05:21 PM   #8 (permalink)

Sorry I haven't updated, life got quite busy last week!

I took Nicholas to the vet, we couldn't get him to whip it out, but he seemed to be quite itchy around the penis. The vet we saw was excellent, she had had hedgies in the past and so was quite knowledgable, but even she didn't know about the spots or what they might be. As a precaution, she prescribed .01 of Baytril for 2 weeks. I'm about a week and a half in now, he hasn't been visibly itching now for about a week, nor has he pulled out his wiener...so I can't say if the spots are still there or not, but he seems to be less concerned with the area, which I'll chalk up to him not being as irritated due to the spots. Or perhaps he's just tired of playing with himself...haha.

Thanks to everyone for trying to help, I think the best advice of all though was "If in doubt, go to the vet". The vet really helped calm me down and I think the anti-biotics really did help. Sorry I can't offer any more insight into "The Penis Spot Mystery", other than to have a vet check out our spotty wee friends!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in