Chemical Burns from Vinegar Water? - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-29-2014, 01:04 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Chemical Burns from Vinegar Water?

My girl ended her mite treatment last week, so for the first time in a long time I have let her cage go almost a week without cleaning it. I wipe down the bottom of her cage with vinegar water, but don't soak it with it or anything; just spritz the towel a couple times so it gets a little damp. and then wipe it down. I have done this regularly throughout her mite treatment, and over the course of her treatment she has become a liner diver because I took her cat bed that she liked to sleep in away. But last night we went to clip her nails and saw that she has peeling skin on all of her feet, and what looks like blisters that are healing! Her poor little feet are sensitive to the touch!

She is not active, and it's been a battle to get her to use her wheel throughout her life so that's not new. The last few days it looks like she's wheeled a little bit after not wheeling for four or five weeks. But it doesn't look like she ran that hard, and a lot of the peeling on her feet is up a little higher on the underside of her legs where I don't think would touch the wheel.

My question is, could residue from the vinegar water that I clean the cage with be burning or severely drying out her feet if she's laying on the bottom of her cage all the time?
TikkiLink is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-29-2014, 01:42 PM   #2 (permalink)
Administrator

It could be drying her feet out, just make sure to always wipe it down with plain water after cleaning to remove anything that might leave a residue.

http://www.quillsnthings.webs.com
nikki is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-29-2014, 02:58 PM   #3 (permalink)

My girl who is a line diver and loves to dig constantly has dry and peeling feet. I assumed it was from the pee and poop boots sitting on her feet before her foot bath. She digs at her fleece so much that her paws are covered in fleece fibers which probably holds in more pee and poo.
DesireeM81 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2014, 03:52 PM   #4 (permalink)

I rubbed a little oil on her feet last night before I thought about the possibility of infection from the blisters, but since they look like they're healing and peeling off, I hope its okay. My girl hardly ever runs so she almost never has dirty feet (although I still give her regular foot baths) but I have caught her also cleaning her own feet. We are working on changing her cage design, as well as the lining from a tarp to laminate flooring, so that she will no longer be able to get under her liner... Using a tarp as her cage base was a huge failure anyway because it wrinkles too much and she is digging at it and shredding it!
Old 10-09-2014, 05:50 PM   #5 (permalink)

Sorry to revive this thread, but a quick question:

Her feet are looking a lot better, and I have changed the cage, prevented her from liner diving, and rinsed everything well with water. But she still has a little skin peeling and cracking on her feet, some of it fresh. She gets a foot bath every 3-4 days because she doesn't use her wheel anymore, and the past few times I have put some colloidal oatmeal in the water to try and help her feet. Is it okay to keep using the oatmeal in her foot baths and not rinsing it off? Or am I overdoing it?
Old 10-09-2014, 06:39 PM   #6 (permalink)

It should be ok. With my brood I have noticed using oatmeal in some baths and oil in others helps to keep their skin pretty well balanced. Too much oatmeal and they get dandruff, to much oil and of course they get oily. A mixture of the two and they are just right.
Also, have you ruled out a skin infection? I may have missed that. No oil with infection.

gracefulchaos01 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-09-2014, 10:11 PM   #7 (permalink)
Administrator

If its not getting better you might want to take her to the vet to rule out any type of skin infection.

http://www.quillsnthings.webs.com
nikki is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-10-2014, 12:00 AM   #8 (permalink)

I hadn't thought of a skin infection, I guess because it has healed a good deal on its own already... Are there specific symptoms I should look for?

This started two weeks ago, and I'm just not sure if I'm being impatient for this to heal or if it would take time for possible chemical burn peeling to fully heal. We put oil on the bottoms of her feet the first night we saw the issue (not thinking), and while I'm not sure if it helped at all, it didn't make it worse. Her back feet, which were peeling worse and had a couple blisters at first (which we assumed was from the vinegar water), look much better now, but her front feet just look dry still. Her feet have not been red or swollen. She has really dry skin all over right now, especially now that the weather is cold. I almost wonder if her digging with her front feet is keeping them from fully healing? I'm going to stop putting her in oatmeal with her foot baths in case I've been doing it too much, because her front feet had only a little spot of peeling before her last oatmeal foot bath, and now they're more flaky.

Am I over-reacting if her feet are better than they were? Do I need to give her more time to heal? Or does it sound like how an infection might behave?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in